90 MUSTANG CONVERTIBLE TOP

So I own a dark cherry 90 Fox body Convertible (again) and (again) I bought it with top that needs completely replaced. I currently have the entire vinyl top and glass back window but I want to replace the frame because my frame is done with. Someone told me before that I could replace the entire frame with another frame from a 79 -93. I somehow find that hard to believe because I don't think the measurements are the same that far back but I wouldn't know. Can someone tell me if that will work a direct change over fit? Or should I just go ahead and find just a 90 convertible top? Its been difficult to find a frame all together. I wish I could post photos but 1) I am deployed overseas 2) my car is currently located in Reno, NV temporarily. CAN ANYONE HELP WITH THIS DILEMMA?

• Sponsors (?)

One thing I can tell you is the later model (91-93) has a frame that folds down lower and the 93 has a headliner.

Also, the later model is a direct replacement.

Also, Ford didn't make a convertible until 83, so anything before that is no bueno.

I would try to find a 91-93 top frame. They are designed a little better and as mentioned the top folds flatter. I have a 92 top on one of my 90 convertibles. Here is how it looks.
20200205_073735.jpg

• Winner
Reactions: 1 user
One thing I can tell you is the later model (91-93) has a frame that folds down lower and the 93 has a headliner.

Also, the later model is a direct replacement.

Also, Ford didn't make a convertible until 83, so anything before that is no bueno.

Awesome. Thanks, I will see if I can locate one I have looking online and thought I found one but it was sold. Everything else I have seen so far I someone selling the entire car and I am not spending the $2000 or higher on another one just to swap the top then have the dilemma of trying to sell that frame with no top or beginning my cycle again of no roof. I wish I knew somewhere that could re-build the frame itself without costing me a lot. (PLUS, it much easier and faster to swap an already upholstered top on) And she looks clean brother, definitely a good match.