'91 fenders...what's the difference?

undercnstrction

Nov 10, 2009
look at this, i'm FULL of questions this week. i think is my 3rd topic so far this week :shrug:. guess that means i'm getting anxious to start collecting parts!

what's the difference in the '91 fenders vs the other years? i have an '87. i've read numerous threads where those specific fenders are mentioned. do they have a larger wheel opening? deeper wheel wells? rolled fenders? is it JUST '91 or '91 thru '93? i was at the local bone yard yesterday and they have at least 1 '91 with pretty clean fenders. is it worth scraping the '87s for the "new" ones? if i stick with shaolin crane's advice, i'll be running 275's on some form of 17" wheel on all 4 corners if that makes any difference

• Sponsors (?)

i wonder what the difference is from the capri fenders as far as clearance...

I gained quite a bit of clearance with mine... i just wonder what the differences are between them and 91+ fenders... besides shape of course...

There was a definite difference from my 87's fenders to the ones I nabbed from a 92. A good one might I add. The wheel opening is larger to accomodate the pony wheels that ford started using in place of the 10 holes, the wheel opens toward the front of the car so the extension piece is shorter. This is a great thing to upgrade to if you decide to do any sort of k-member/tubular a-arm swap, since it give just a bit more room when your wheels move forward. The extension piece and about a 1/2" of lip was removed from my car when I got it all aligned and the wheels moved forward about 1 1/2"!

There is a difference. Get the ones you want or need.

Yes there is definitely a difference, and the extra wheel opening space is all in the front section of the fender. I found this out when I put the new ground effects I scored from a 91-93 on my 90. The piece of trim in front of the wheel is shorter on the 91-93, and I managed to get it stretched enough to get it on there, but there is a a bigger gap than I'd like where that piece meets the bumper cover, because it's stretched back. It was a real pita.

Umm... well... my mustang rubbed the mustang fenders... same setup capri fenders... and they don't rub any more...

who knows....

Cause the capri is older and has a shorter track width IIRC

I was saying my Mustang rubbed the Mustang Fenders... But since I swapped the Capri Fenders on my Mustang, there is no more rubbing on the fenders... Same setup, just different fenders... who knows tho.

Yes there is definitely a difference, and the extra wheel opening space is all in the front section of the fender. I found this out when I put the new ground effects I scored from a 91-93 on my 90. The piece of trim in front of the wheel is shorter on the 91-93, and I managed to get it stretched enough to get it on there, but there is a a bigger gap than I'd like where that piece meets the bumper cover, because it's stretched back. It was a real pita.

i hadn't thought of this aspect....so i need to make sure that when/if i pick up a set of 91-93 fenders, i also will the ground effects to go with it since they are slightly different than the '87s correct?

I understand about mounting the piece crane, but the extensions are two different sizes from 87-90 as from 91-93. Since that part of the fender is smaller to accomodate the larger wheel opening. That is why there are different kits for ground effects, because the difference in the fenders. I understand the piece behind the fender, but I was just saying that if he gets the 91-93 fenders he will want to grab the same year fender extensions. Unless I have no clue as to what your referring to.