92 2.3 Lx Tranny Not Staying In Gear

Skylerjm

Aug 17, 2017
I just bought a 92 with a 2.3. I plan to swap it to a V8 but I need to get it from my shop to my house first. It wasn't running when I bought it but a replaced a faulty ignition switch and that fixed that, but now the transmission won't stay in gear. It fine when you already rolling but if you stop in a rut or speed bump it acts like it's not in gear. It does this when any pressure is on the trans. It's an auto btw but I plan to convert to manual with the swap. Any ideas on why it's doing this. I don't want to spend a ton of money since I'm pulling the engine and trans anyway. Also it looks like the former owners have never changed the tranny fluid. I'm going to start there.

• Sponsors (?)

If you are swapping in a v8 stick why spend anything on the engine/trans your gonna pull out?
It would cost around $150-$200 to tow to my house and I'm not really in a big hurry to get it done I was just trying to get an idea on how much it'll cost and if I'd save any money fixing it instead of towing it.

Make sure you do allot of reading/research on what's actually involved in the 4 banger to 8 swap. I myself am doing one now after owning eight foxes and never having a four banger It's surprising how much ford actually changed between the two.. and the amount of junk you have to source from a donor v8 car in order to make the 4 banger work sucks.