92 bronco not starting sometimes

fordkid

May 28, 2007
Hey guys, I have been dealing with this problem for a while now. at first I was having problems with the charging system, The alternater was bad so I replaced that along with the battery since it was old, it was running fine for a little while but now the bronco won't start after it's been sitting for a while. If I jump start it, it will start right up and run fine. if I drive it for a while and then go into a store or something real quick it usually starts up on it's own but if it sits for a little while then it won't start by it self. Some times when it won't start if you hold the key to the start position it will crank slowly then not crank at all and then all of a sudden start cranking again slowly and builds up speed and then starts. So I am completely lost as to what is wrong with it. While it's running the it says 13.6 Any one have any sugestions on what might be wrong or other areas I should check to at least rule out. Trying to get this truck up and running again before the rain gets here.

Thanks
Ford Kid

• Sponsors (?)

Try going to ford-trucks.com for help. I have been using that site for years for my 95 F150.

As for you problem, I would say that the starter is on its way out. Especially if it is the original one. It is also possilble that there is a bad connection or ground somewhere. Either that or something is draining the battery.

Thanks, I've been trying to find a good site for ford trucks, The starter is new. I just replaced it not too long ago, maybe 3 months, it was making the famus clicking sound when I tried to start it. So maybe like you said a bad ground somewhere. I will be looking for that as well as posting on the other site.

Thanks
Ford Kid

i had a similar problem and it ended up to be a bad ground... the negative terminal on my battery was severly corroded... heres what happened with mine though...

i drove it a few times and then the car wouldnt start at all... sometimes, lik eyou said it would crank really slow, sometimes not at all... sometimes it would crank normal but would never start...

i picked up a code scanner tool, pluged it in, cleared the codes, same problems persisted. Pluged the scanner back in... started the car and it started no problems... unplugged the scanner and the car died immediately... tried to start the car with no scanner... it didnt do anything... plugged scanner back in... car started right up... unplugged scanner and it died LOLOLOL

it just ended up to be a corroded battery terminal HAHAHAHA i dont know how, or why it started with the scanner tool, it must of over rode something... anyway you sound like you have similar problems like i had... check / clean those terminals relaly well! or check the connection to the starter as well, along with the ground for the starter... something may of became loose...

:SNSign:

Hey thanks, you guys got me back to the basics. it wasn't a terminal, however it was the battery, even though it was a brand new battery. it was still bad. it would say 13 plus volts when it was running and then when I would shut it off the battery would read 12 pluss volts. so I figured the battery was fine. so for what ever reason I ended up sticking the probs to the volt meter in the terminals so they would stay there with out me holding them so I could watch the voltage as I wiggled wires around the engine bay. I ended up noticing the battery was steadily droping voltage. every minute or so it would drop a tenth of a volt. so I replaced the battery again and now the 2nd new battery has been working for the past few days. Go figure huh. I don't know how many times I am going to have to learn the lesson " just because the part is new doesn't mean it works properly" but hopefully I can remember that this time.

Thanks guys.
Ford Kid