Interior and Upholstery 92 Convertible Rear Seat Belts

• Sponsors (?)

LOL, Yes. Believe it or not, I am a Corvette guy and I couldn't enjoy my kids in the Corvette so I bought the 92 vert. My son is away for college and my daughter is at the age that she is too cool to hang out with me and mom so it might be time to revert back to a Corvette but not anytime soon. I am enjoying my all original, unmolested 44k miles foxbody. I still need those seatbelts fixed though.

Attachments

• Delilah5.0 (2 of 47).jpg
    Delilah5.0 (2 of 47).jpg
    709.9 KB · Views: 58
  • Delilah5.0 (5 of 47).jpg
    Delilah5.0 (5 of 47).jpg
    421.2 KB · Views: 52
  • Delilah5.0 (21 of 47).jpg
    Delilah5.0 (21 of 47).jpg
    351.5 KB · Views: 61
  • Delilah5.0 (7 of 47).jpg
    Delilah5.0 (7 of 47).jpg
    414.6 KB · Views: 50
They are not reproduced, at least not for the convertibles.

Seat belt rebuilders seem to be few and far between. These belts work differently than newer belts in that they lock under inertia. There was a fundemental change in retractor designs in the 90's. SO some repair shops won't touch them.

Used is an option, but you run the risk of getting similar condition belts. WHat makes things worse is that an 90-93 black interior parts are being hoarded and $$$ right now.

You can try inquiring with a location like this, but my feeling is due to the age they won't touch them.

I'm sure many of us would like to have our seat-belts gone through.

I found safetyrestore.com in my search this morning. I sent them an email to see if they can help me but havent gotten a response yet. I do know that the convertible foxbody Mustangs started out as coupes and the roof was then cut off to make them convertibles. During my used search if that is my only option, can I assume coupe seat belts will work or are the rear seatbelts completely different from coupes and convertibles?

Looks like the convertible rear belts are unique, just like the front ones are as well. My search turned up coupes and hatchbacks sharing the same rear seat belts. Probably because the convertible top forced them to be mounted in different spots. Not to mention the exposed plastic trim around them in the boot area so they look pretty. :rolleyes:

My rear belts are practically like new, but my driver's belt feels worn and looks tired. Thankfully no locking/mechanism problems yet, knock on wood. But I wish I could find a new OEM driver's belt or a place to replace/repair so it feels and looks nicer.

They are completely different for 90-93 due to the fact the coupes have solid structure over the shoulder and the convertibles dont to mount the top point of the 3-point rear belts Coupe belts mount up top on the package tray in front of the rear window, while the convertible belts mount down and go up over the rear seat.

90-93 coupe
D187A5A3-C5CE-419D-A589-CC33B8198048.png

90-93 convertible

B1F8E20F-ADEB-4A84-87B3-FA1AD72AC16A.png

Ok, so looking for coupe seatbelts are out of the question. I'm going to remove the rear seat this weekend and see if WD40 will do the trick. If I pull/push the belt, they eventually go in but it's a pain in the arse.

That's interesting. Had no idea that dirt and body oils could cause an issue like slow retracting seatbelts. I knew about washing them with laundry detergent, but only from a standpoint of getting them clean, not them operating better.

That guy on that youtube video has a bunch of videos on his page, most of which have to do with asian cars, but there are a few that I'll go back and watch sometime (misc maintenance-type things, like the seatbelt cleaning).

That's interesting. Had no idea that dirt and body oils could cause an issue like slow retracting seatbelts. I knew about washing them with laundry detergent, but only from a standpoint of getting them clean, not them operating better.

That guy on that youtube video has a bunch of videos on his page, most of which have to do with asian cars, but there are a few that I'll go back and watch sometime (misc maintenance-type things, like the seatbelt cleaning).
There are a bunch of videos on the cleaning process and what sold me on it was reading the comments, the countless amount of people saying how fantastic it worked and that it fixed their seatbelt issue. Seems to definitely work. The Best part is it’s free. Nothing to buy and no tools needed, etc.
Therefore nothing to lose in trying and everyhing to gain.

Agree. Thanks for bringing that to my, and others, attention.

For anybody doing this, just make sure to let the seatbelts dry completely (air drying in addition to drying with a towel). Wouldn't want to retract them back into the mechanism with any moisture on them. That might set up a mold or mildew issue.

Good thread but I was hoping for a solid resolution. The front belts on my 87 are terrible and dont retract as they should, and they are ugly.

I'd definitely replace all 4 if I had that option. LMR, are you
Listening? :)

Ok, so I removed the rear setbelts and inspected. I didn't see anything broken or worn out. I cleaned the 30 years of dust build-up and sprayed a little WD40 and white lithium grease on the moving parts and they are working like a charm now.

Reactions: 1 users