Engine 92 LX Won't fire - seems like a fuel delivery problem

vferrizz

Oct 23, 2020
Fleetwood, PA
Been searching previous threads and am kina running low on ideas so I could use some re-directing. Short history: car is a '92 LX with a bone stock 5.0 motor and a Tremec TKO 600 that took the place of the AOD. She started running a little crappy in that I was hearing some popping in the exhaust and the car would idle a bit rough after about a minute after giving the car some gas. I cleaned the MAF and re-set the timing to 14 deg (was set around 20 deg) and nothing changed. A couple weeks later the car would stall the first time I would start her up. Once I tried again she started fine. About 2 weeks ago I started the car and as I backed out of the garage the car stalled as soon as I gave it some gas. I have not been able to start the car since. I ran the codes and got 15, 67 and 96. I assume I got 67 because the clutch was not in when I ran the codes (Key on, car off). The 15 bothers me a bit but I have not dug into that one much yet. As for 96, I replaced the fuel pump relay and no change. I checked the fuel pressure and I have 38 psi. The car turns over fine and is trying to start so it seems like a fuel delivery problem. I am going to try replacing the fuel filter next, hoping it is that simple. But, the 15 and 96 codes seem to tell me I have a bigger issue. Not sure which way to go next so please help give me a clue!

Thanks

• Sponsors(?)

KRUISR

5 Year Member
Apr 16, 2015
Do you hear the fuel pump hum when you turn key to run (key on, engine off)?

Follow the checklist.

Also could be a bad TFI module, it would give the stumble and popping (aka - misfire).

vferrizz

Oct 23, 2020
Fleetwood, PA
Thanks for the reply. Time to hit the list. I will also look into the TFI module. Times like this is when I miss carbs...I understand those at least.

KRUISR

5 Year Member
Apr 16, 2015
But when it is working right EFI vs carb... not even in the ballpark as far as driveability.

vferrizz

Oct 23, 2020
Fleetwood, PA
Makes sense. I am sure it is the original FPR. Car had 26k original mikes on it when I got it in 2018 so I am sure some of the original equipment is getting tired. Thx.

vferrizz

Oct 23, 2020
Fleetwood, PA
I was going thru the checklist and was checking for spark. I hooked up a tester to #5 cylinder. While cranking the tester flickered constantly but got bright periodically. I thought what I should have seen is the light flash only when #5 got a spark. I think when it got bright is when it was getting spark but shouldn’t the light have been completely out before it gets spark?

jrichker

StangNet's favorite TOOL
SN Certified Technician
Mar 10, 2000
Dublin GA
lowendmac.com
I was going thru the checklist and was checking for spark. I hooked up a tester to #5 cylinder. While cranking the tester flickered constantly but got bright periodically. I thought what I should have seen is the light flash only when #5 got a spark. I think when it got bright is when it was getting spark but shouldn’t the light have been completely out before it gets spark?
What kind of spark tester were you using?

vferrizz

Oct 23, 2020
Fleetwood, PA
I picked up one at Autozone. It’s the kind you plug in series with the spark plug wire and the spark plug. Based on some other feedback I did replace the TFI module and got the car to start and run for a very brief time. Initially it seemed fine but then started bucking while I was driving. I only had about 32 lbs of fuel pressure at idle but I forgot to disconnect the vacuum line before I checked it. Now the car starts and dies right away so I have to get it running long enough to recheck the pressure. This is turning into a huge PITA.

Kid wita 5oh

Founding Member
Nov 5, 2000
Wakefield, MA

Have you looked under the distributor cap?.....sounds like it may be arcing in there

7991LXnSHO

wanna catch the space herp
10 Year Member
Sep 1, 2010
Kearney, NE
But when it is working right EFI vs carb... not even in the ballpark as far as driveability.
Then you do not know carbs well. EFI is better for emissions and precision tuning, but a carb will have fine drive ability even if it is a bit rich or lean.