92 vert third brake light

BarnStang

Founding Member
Mar 2, 2001
Hagerstown, MD
I looked through car domain but no definitive answer found visually. We gift transferred the 92 GT vert to my step son. Maryland title going to Virginia. So he has to have it inspected in Virginia. They failed the car for not having a third brake light, which they claim ALL cars came with after 1987. This car has no wing at all or luggage rack. Just a plain bare trunk. I don't recall ever seeing any stray wiring in the trunk or rear seat area. Does anyone know if this car came with a third brake light? Oh, I had it registered in Florida, never registered or titled or inspected in Maryland.

• Sponsors (?)

That's a very interesting question. I'm a Md. state inspector. Not that it matters for the Va. inspection though. One of my co-workers just sold a 92 vert, MSI'd. I'll ask him if he remembers. May not have an answer for you till Monday though. It's a shame he has to register it in Va and not in Md. Otherwise it would not have to go through MSI.

Is the trunk lid steel or fiberglass? That would be an indication of any modifications made to the light.

I think they started putting wings on the 'verts in 1991 instead of the luggage rack but I don't know if it was an option or not.

All cars after 85 have the third brake light due to Federal regulations for the 86 models. I just looked at my 92 Mustang dealer brochure and the vert pics in it all had the luggage rack on them. The wings were only on the 92 and 93 red, white and yellow special edition verts. What happened was someone probably didn't like the rack and changed the vert trunk for a coupe trunk which did not have the rack or third light. You basically have 3 choices. Get a 86-93 vert luggage rack or complete trunk lid and swap them out, get the 92 or 93 special edition rear spoiler that has the third brake light (I think Cervinis and other places in the magazines sell them separately), or find some kind of aftermarket brake light to mount on it, maybe with a magnet just for inspection purposes?

There was one guy that had a BMW Z3 brake light molded into his vert trunk. It looked nice, but it was a lot of work and $$$. Another guy went through the same thing (except I think he got a ticket) and I think he ended up surface mounting a light above the lock. Not the cleanest solution, but it worked and looked better than the luggage rack IMO.

Good luck!

It's the original steel trunk lid. Same color as the rest of the car. And no holes that I can determine that would have been for a luggage rack. But I bet it did have a luggage rack. I bet it did have a luggage rack though. May have been repainted factory color and the holes filled. I think I will just have him get a cheap light at autozone and we will fab up a bracket for it on the top of the back seat. Top won't be down that much. Unless he wants a luggage rack? I doubt it...
Thanks!

When I bought my 93 'vert, the only thing I didn't like about it was the hideous luggage rack. I bought a coupe trunk lid, had it painted to match and installed it. I drove it for several years that way before installing my Limited Edition wing. Probably the same thing here.