Engine 92lx. Gt40x heads and air injection provisons

Blucifer99

I only understand every 3rd word
Jul 15, 2018
Port Mcnicoll Ontario
Well so many people aay that the gt40x heads dont have air injection provisions. But every picture i look at shows different.. If the gt40x turbo swirls dont have air injection then why do u need thermactor plugs ??? Also what are the holes on the heads that are in the same spots as the trickflow heads and even e7s?? Lmr says they dont have the holes for the air injection. But every picture ive seens shows different. Im far from blind and to me they look like the thermactor ports for air injection... Can anyone who owns a pair of these heads tell me if those holes are infact the injection holes? And if they arnt then why do u need thermactor screws for them???

Attachments

• Capture+_2018-10-10-22-10-44.png
    Capture+_2018-10-10-22-10-44.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 169
  • Capture+_2018-10-09-19-57-43.png
    Capture+_2018-10-09-19-57-43.png
    386.6 KB · Views: 202
  • Capture+_2018-10-09-19-58-45.png
    Capture+_2018-10-09-19-58-45.png
    394.7 KB · Views: 382
  • Sponsors (?)

The three wholes are for the accessory brackets. Not sure what the smaller whole closes to the valve cover area would be fore but my tfs heads don't have that whole and I wouldn't assume it is injection port.

Reactions: 1 user
You would need to actually look in the exhaust ports of the heads and see if they are actually drilled through. The inserts are needed because the heads are machined to be mounted on either side and you need them to install accessories.

The three wholes are for the accessory brackets. Not sure what the smaller whole closes to the valve cover area would be fore but my tfs heads don't have that whole and I wouldn't assume it is injection port.

Well i kno the trickflow 170s have the air injection and egr. Same with afrs. But ive also seen a set of gt40x heads on a car with the air injection tube attached. Thats why im asking. Im just tryin to figure out on why a thermactor plug is needed if the hole isnt drilled... I duno im just tryin to figure this out cause im in the middle of shopping for heads. And id like to have the gt40xs instead of the afrs or tfs... Im even debating on deleting the tab/tad and just running my diverter valve to my cats and have the air injection vent to atmosphere. Emissions where im from just got scrapped so my build plans have changed..

Well i kno the trickflow 170s have the air injection and egr. Same with afrs. But ive also seen a set of gt40x heads on a car with the air injection tube attached. Thats why im asking. Im just tryin to figure out on why a thermactor plug is needed if the hole isnt drilled... I duno im just tryin to figure this out cause im in the middle of shopping for heads. And id like to have the gt40xs instead of the afrs or tfs... Im even debating on deleting the tab/tad and just running my diverter valve to my cats and have the air injection vent to atmosphere. Emissions where im from just got scrapped so my build plans have changed..

Also if u look at the two holes next to the valve cover. They are perfect match for the air tube

If you dont have to deal with emissions, just ditch the air pump and related tubes, plug the back of the heads and port on cats if needed. Keep the EGR if you can.

I called lmr. Since they are the only site that sells them. But theyre tech dept is dumb. Thry think a t5 is a m50d lol. And i honestly cant get a straight answer from them

Lmr doesnt actually kno squatt. When u ask a question they dont actually look it up. They resort to their site and read the info off it. If it says that the gt40x heads have bigg titties thats what they will repeat. If u get what i mean. The only way im actually gonne be able to find out is to either find someone who has them and see for sure. Or order them and see if they do have them.. As for ditching the emissions. I would do that if i had a way to keep the CEL from poppin codes and resorting to the flow tables...

According to the Summit Reviews they do not have provisions for the air injection and EGR.

Outside of the price any reason you want to use these heads? Both the AFR 165s and TFS 170 flow better and have the air ports.

I have a FRPP crate engine with GT40x heads and can confirm that they do have the thermactor air ports on them.

I know this because I assumed they didn't, until I fired it up for the first time and exhaust/smoke was pouring out the back of the heads :doh:

Thankfully I already had plugs in the old engine so I just swapped them over and all was good.

According to the Summit Reviews they do not have provisions for the air injection and EGR.

Outside of the price any reason you want to use these heads? Both the AFR 165s and TFS 170 flow better and have the air ports.

I duno cause i like the idea of gt40 aluminum heads. Price to me doesnt matter. Also if u port the gt40x heads im pretty sure u can get them to flow better then tfs tw 170s or afr165s

I duno cause i like the idea of gt40 aluminum heads. Price to me doesnt matter. Also if u port the gt40x heads im pretty sure u can get them to flow better then tfs tw 170s or afr165s
Also if i want more lift and a bigger cam with more duration. The gt40x heads wont cause as much ptv clearance issues then the trickflows will. At least with the inline valves i can actually enlarge the eyebrow reliefs in the stock pistons if i need to unlike the tfs since the valves are not inline

Oh and according to larry at ford performance. The reason that the gt40x heads are labeled as not havin the air injection ports when they clearly do is because ford performance didnt pay to have the "emissions legal" lol. Stupid enviromental protection agency charges head makers to put the CARB sticker on them which classes heads emissions legal.... How dumb is that. Just like the jd power award for cars. Cars dont earn it. The makers purchase that award hahaha

Well according to lmr they have the provisions for egr but not the air tube. And the pictures show the accessory mount holes plus the thermactor air tube holes