93 2.3L mustang won't start

stang493

Aug 19, 2006
Glenwood, IA
hello all,
i'm new to the fourm and new to the mustang world. i recently purchased a 1993 mustang 2.3L auto. well after driving it for a while the day i bought it i went to the atm to take out some money. while i was sitting at the atm the suddenly died. no sputtering. just quit. then it wouldn't start. so i loaded it up on the trailer and had limited daylight when i got home but it had no spark coming from the ignition coils. (it is the 8 plug model) any ideas what the problem may be. also i'm going to be looking for a 5 speed set up so if anyone has one let me know.

• Sponsors (?)

That wouldn't stop me from at least checking it. I trust my eyes more than I trust a previous owner. ;) It only takes a minute or less to check. Rule that out and move to the next step.

Did the tach act funny at all prior to the car dying? Like reading half of what it should or bouncing around? Maybe a check engine light to go along with it?

x2 on checking the timing belt! Just check it..it takes 10 seconds.

After that I'd suspect the ICM...

I replaced the crack position sensor on my 93 2.3L...it was a ROYAL pain in the ass, and it ended up being the ICM anyway.

ok, i checked the belt, everything thing is great. replaced the ICM today for a cost of $155 (which is after i get my dicount at the parts store.) still no fire. whats the deal. it has to be the crank sensor, correct? running out of options, and slowly going crazy. thanks
for everyones help.

Can you get the ECM code from the computer read. It might point you in the right direction.

Try here for the list of codes http://proficientmustang.com/ecm_codes.htm

I am not sure what management sytem your stang uses but if you search some you should be able to find that out along with tips on how to read them. I think it is EEC IV but dont quote me on that...

Try this for the DIY http://www.corral.net/tech/maintenance/eecivtest.html

or purchase a scanner?

You may be able to get it read for free if you take the car to a parts store like autozone or schucks...

That wouldn't stop me from at least checking it. I trust my eyes more than I trust a previous owner. ;) It only takes a minute or less to check. Rule that out and move to the next step.

Did the tach act funny at all prior to the car dying? Like reading half of what it should or bouncing around? Maybe a check engine light to go along with it?
what would cause this problem you mentioned above with engine light and tach