93 5.0 carb question

mestrack3

Apr 28, 2011
Im wondering what carb and inake manifold setup would be best for my set up.

afr 185 heads
trick flow stage 1 cam
trick flow roller rockers.

right now setup with
trickflow street upper and lower
going to carb cause converting it in to strip car. only drive on weekends as is. but wanted to try a carb out on this motor just cause.

Also I want to make a drag car but i dont want it to look like a drag car at all. I still want my 18inch 5 lugs on there. But what all can i do besides that. excluding engine talk. btw windows are tinted pitch black. but what should go what should stay. All i know i want is two seats haha.

Attachments

• 5720_129716796749_500051749_2929867_855406_n.jpg
    5720_129716796749_500051749_2929867_855406_n.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 199
  • Sponsors (?)

keep the efi imho, but more seriously, some tracks will not let you run with your windows tinted forward of the b pillars citing safety concerns, not being able to see the driver or their safety equipment. Personally I like to be able to see the wall when I go down the track.

Well, as for answering your question and not busting your balls...

I would run a Wieand Stealth on that engine, unless you're serious serious about it being a TRACK car and then you could probably get away with a Victor Jr. but you're gonna lose some bottom end on a Jr. vs. a Stealth. A 306 isn't pulling any more air in than a 302, and from my experience a Victor Jr. is overkill for a 302 unless it's a serious engine (big compression, huge cam, high RPM etc). I have a Stealth on my 347 right now and although i'm switching to a Victor Jr, the car does run stout on the street with the Stealth..i think it'd be right at home on your 306.

Well, as for answering your question and not busting your balls...

I would run a Wieand Stealth on that engine, unless you're serious serious about it being a TRACK car and then you could probably get away with a Victor Jr. but you're gonna lose some bottom end on a Jr. vs. a Stealth. A 306 isn't pulling any more air in than a 302, and from my experience a Victor Jr. is overkill for a 302 unless it's a serious engine (big compression, huge cam, high RPM etc). I have a Stealth on my 347 right now and although i'm switching to a Victor Jr, the car does run stout on the street with the Stealth..i think it'd be right at home on your 306.

AGREED!!!

I have a Holley 600 cfm vacuum secondary on my 82, with Iron Gt40 heads and a small (270deg) cam. Have a Performer RPM. With those heads, you may want the Performer RPM, or Airgap, at least.

With my heads it runs to 6100 rpm pretty easy. I have been surprised and amazed that the 600 carb works as well as it does! I would like to go up to a 670 or so in carb, but I am going to try my 185 heads with this combo first.

Id go airgap and 600cfm carb

I used to be all about the airgap until i started hanging out on the carbdford.com forum and after hearing so many people say they were disappointed with it vs. the Stealth, i had to get a Stealth and see for myself.

If Wieand ever makes an Air Strike version of the Stealth like they did for Chevy, it'll be the end all beat all duel plane intake for a SBF IMO.

Stealth > Edelbrock any day.

I know some will scoff, but a mild single plane intake is not a bad thing.

Torker 289 has great power over a wide range, and it winds up quick vs a Stealth.
I ran a 306 with Torker 289 for years. It worked well with auto and manual tranny, as well has a variety of gearing. Run a vacuum secondary Holley on an auto trans, or a 700ish Double pumper on a manual trans.

The guys at the shop when i dynoed my 347 were blown away that it made the power it made with a duel plane. The first thing the tuner said when i popped the hood was that the intake would be the bottleneck. He was really impressed. I'm actually skeptical that a Victor Jr. will gain enough top end to justify losing the bottom end....but we'll see how it goes.

Stealth > Edelbrock any day.

I know some will scoff, but a mild single plane intake is not a bad thing.

Torker 289 has great power over a wide range, and it winds up quick vs a Stealth.
I ran a 306 with Torker 289 for years. It worked well with auto and manual tranny, as well has a variety of gearing. Run a vacuum secondary Holley on an auto trans, or a 700ish Double pumper on a manual trans.

yeah, but the torker is a single plan vs the dual plan stealth. The stealth is the way to go, Iv ran it on my previous 306 and was very happily surprized with it. Its all around a great intake!!

yeah, but the torker is a single plan vs the dual plan stealth. The stealth is the way to go, Iv ran it on my previous 306 and was very happily surprized with it. Its all around a great intake!!

Don't knock it until you try it!

I ran a Torker 289 for years, with a 700 DP on top.

People kept telling me that I was screwing up by using a single plane...
They pointed to HR magazine and all the TV shows that pushed Stealths and Perf RPMs... Acted like I didn't know what I was doing.

Let me tell ya... those mags and shows are GLORIFIED COMMERCIALS.
They push whatever E-brock and Holley want to sell this week.

I fell for it and swapped on an aggressive dual plane, figuring I wouldn't lose any top end, and gain a huge bottom end. NOPE!:mad:

The engine gained no bottom end, and became EXTREMELY lazy after 4k, compared to the Torker 289. I tried several different things to bring back the quick revving. The only thing that came close, but no cigar, was a 2" open spacer (leaving no room for an air filter, even with a hood scoop).

I put my Torker 289 back on, and the car flew once again.
You don't know what you are missing if you just listen to the commercials and accept them as correct. Fact is that our little engines like to rev, and most of the things that apply to a brand-x 350 or 400 cube engine, don't apply to the lowly 302.

Just sayin.

Edit:
I would like to point out that I also own a 302 with a Stealth on it, and like that intake very much for milder applications. However, for a smaller car, like a Stang, as a primarily track car, as the OP suggested... and on an SBF, there are better choices.

I would also point out that just like there are aggressive and mild dual plane intakes, the same goes for single planes. Therefore, when I suggest a milder single plane, like a Torker 289, don't think the same goes for a Victor or even Victor Jr. They are much more aggressive.

I used an airgap with a 2" spacer with great reults. It had a 750 vac sec. and would pull like crazy on my '84 GT.
I always wondered how the Weiand X-Celerator single plane would work. Anyone have good or bad experiences?

Well, i can attest that my 347 has ran WOT to the tune of 7500RPM+ with a Stealth on top of it...the first time i dropped the hammer after getting it on the road, no rev limiter, i wasn't sure what to expect and as soon as the tires broke traction the 8k tach damn near buried and i shart myself. I say 7500+ because that's what i saw as the needle was flashing past my vision, at which time i had to focus on the road as the car was going ditch to ditch.

I probably should add that mine is "cleaned up"...i wouldn't call it porting so much but the casting has been smooth out in the runner outlets by the heads and the carb throat has been cleaned up a little, but nothing has been hogged out or really opened up, just smoothed out. I also run a 1 inch 4 hole tapered Wilson Manifolds spacer, and a tuned but otherwise box stock Holley 650dp. I'm switching to a Victor Jr. and a custom built Pro Systems carb as soon as the paint is done.

Don't sweat any BS comments .. do what u want. I just got my 93 running with an Edelbrock carb 600 cfm. Performer rom manifold. Runs great! This is on top of a 331 with Edelbrock heads, Edelbrock can, comp cams rockers

I never said my car wouldn't spin 6k with an RPM intake.
Just that after about 3k it would spin up much slower than with the Torker 289.
I ran the RPM with a 2" spacer, but like I said, it still wasn't on par with the T289 AND I couldn't put an air filter on it.

The Weiand single plane is mild like the Torker 289...

I have also ran Edelbrock carbs and Holley carbs on the same engine, and the Holley was always stronger in back to back comparisons.

Fwiw: The Offy Port-O-Sonic is more aggressive than the other 2 intakes, but not as much as the Victors...

Point is that a car can run great with the dual planes like folks are saying their cars do, but if they haven't tried a mild single plane, they have no idea if they are leaving horsepower on the table or not.

I know from my swaps with different intakes/carbs, but like everyone knows, each combo might like something better than another combo. By all means, do what you want, but as cheap as intakes are, you could experiment as well. (like I did)