93 5.0 in a 66 mustang

I'm restomoding a 66 mustang. I have a 5.0 from a 93 mustang that I'm rebuilding stock. I got the front sump oil pan and pickup, but the block mounted dipstick won't work so I need a front cover with a dipstick hole. The problem is I want to keep the serpentine belt set up, but that requires a reverse rotation water pump, and the only timing covers I found with a dipstick hole are for a standard rotation pump. I know this swap has been done by a lot of people so there must be a solution. I just don't know what it is.

• Sponsors (?)

A manager and assistant manager of a store I was at got the two types of pumps switched up in an engine swap from a drag car to street car. If the guys in the know can do it, recreational mechanics can too.

Last edited:
That’s a big step or two above the chain parts store parking lot mechanic. I have swapped some parts in the lot before, but I’m thinking of the ones who barely get their piles of parts off the street, park on the most oil slicked spot, then replace one part, bolt, hose or clamp at a time with the least expensive and least reliable fix until it somehow rolls off again, leaking like the Exxon Valdez. And because of the quality of the repair, they’ll be back after the next check, doing it again. Trying to be kind and help them fix it right once is a learning experience.

That’s a big step or two above the chain parts store parking lot mechanic. I have swapped some parts in the lot before, but I’m thinking of the ones who barely get their piles of parts off the street, park on the most oil slicked spot, then replace one part, bolt, hose or clamp at a time with the least expensive and least reliable fix until it somehow rolls off again, leaking like the Exxon Valdez. And because of the quality of the repair, they’ll be back after the next check, doing it again. Trying to be kind and help them fix it right once is a learning experience.
HEY!!!! The exxon valdez is currently under repair!!
And I gave up on trying to help people do a correct repair, I always get 'I just have to get it (insert irrelevant destination here) ' most of the time there are so many things wrong with the vehicle it's a wonder it drives at all.
But I have low expectation of most people anyway.