93 cobra 351 windsor swap questions

Cobra383

Jun 9, 2010
I know this has been done many times, but I have a few questions left to complete my swap. This is a resonably hardcore daily driver /93 octane strictly street car. I am using a 70 351 block machined for 4 bolt caps w/a main girdle. A complete Eagle 4340 crank/rod (3.750 stroke internal balance)rotating assembly. JE pistons 9.2 cr. Ported edelbrock vic jr. heads, EFI spider intake. Vortech YS trim s/c (hoping to run approx 15 -20 psi boost). BBK long tubes, 5speed , 373 gears. I would greatly appreciate any advice/part #'s concerning the following.
1. I was told a truck water pump (reverse rotation) would be better to use, if so which one
2. Is anyone using an Abaco mass air, is it better to pull through or blow through
3. What are the largest injector that can be used w/stock processor, or a driver extender
4. Also looking for cam suggestions, I prefer a hyd roller, and would 5.0 fact. rollers work or should i use aftermarket retro
5. what ratio rocker
6. Other than oil pump drive what is difference in dist. is stock 351 ok or should i go aftermarket
7. head studs or bolts(arp) and what type/brand of head gasket
8. any particular brand/style O2 sensors
9. suggestions for fuel supply, (prefer in tank/stock look) what's involved putting 03/04 cobra tank in fox.
10. will a 255 intank supply enough for 2 vortech trex pumps

• Sponsors (?)

I also need info about removing some components.
1. can the evap emission canister be removed without problems
2. new motor will be non egr whats invloved with removing it and the associated plumbing
3. I would also like to remove the TAB and TAD solenoids. Are there any special items to address with removing them other than capping the vac. lines

Not sure the terms reasonably and hardcore go together in this situation.

But i can tell you this, a 255 and two trexs are not the way to go.
You need a real fuel system.
I see no reason to even consider using an 03 cobra tank, with the fact that you need a complete fuel system anyway.
Check glenns performance for fuel setups, has some pretty neat stuff.

I've seen the stock computer handle 650rwhp. I believe the injectors were 60's.

No offense, but i don't see this setup as a viable daily driver.
Ya you could, but it may be fix it, drive it, fix it drive it....

1. I was told a truck water pump (reverse rotation) would be better to use, if so which one.
I am using the Ford racing PUMP works great

2. Is anyone using an Abaco mass air, is it better to pull through or blow through?
Yes people are using blow through is better

3. What are the largest injector that can be used w/stock processor, or a driver extender?
I would go with 60+ injector size

4. Also looking for cam suggestions, I prefer a hyd roller, and would 5.0 fact. rollers work or should i use aftermarket retro?
If your using a 70 block you can get the block tapped for the Spider bracket. you just need to find one and take the block to a machine shop have them do a revision. if you dont do that Retro fit.

5. what ratio rocker
1.6's will be enough

6. Other than oil pump drive what is difference in dist. is stock 351 ok or should i go aftermarket

You will ahve to get a new oild pan because of the 4 bolt mains and Main stud girdle you should probably do a windage tray as well you can pick one up from summit for 50 bucks from canton.

7. head studs or bolts(arp) and what type/brand of head gasket
This all depends on the heads and go with ARP Studs. and Depensds on bore size.

any

9. suggestions for fuel supply, (prefer in tank/stock look) what's involved putting 03/04 cobra tank in fox.

Umm a 255 with an inline should work fine

wow thats a lot of fuel

any

Umm a 255 with an inline should work fine

wow thats a lot of fuel

Always use ford o2 sensors. Any electrical parts should be real ford parts, the rest are garbage.

His combo is a YS powered 351 with vic jr heads and spider intake.
No doubt this car will make massive power if done right.
An entire built fuel system is in order.

Thanks for the input guys. When i say reasonably hardcore I meant I was going for max hp/trq that will still use 93 octane and a tune that will allow daily driving. My current combo makes 423 wheel hp and has 140k miles on it.
1. Because i'm still runnig a/c and power steering the plumbing for a intercooler will be a nightmare, as an alternative i'm considering meth injection, any recomendations
2. I already have a 7qt canton pan and tray i'll be using
On a blow thru system how close can the mass be to the s/c or throttle body, do u guys have any pics that would show this setup
3. The bore is 4.030 with 1/2" fasteners, are cometic or some other mls gasket the best way to go, any opinion which is best value
4. I think I saw seimens/deca 65 lbs before are these ok, will a driver extender be suitable for street use or should i just stick with what the processor can handle
5. I have opportunity to buy a kenne bell bap for 1/2 price will this help me with the fuel pumps i wanted to use? ( i understand a dedicated fuel system would be better but I already have the 255 and 2 trex pumps with "y" blocks 3/4" supply and 1/2" return lines. Im just trying to get the most out of what i already have and keep the budget within reason)
6. I was planning on using a boost referenced regulator, any brand/type suggestions
7. Will a stock tfi dist. work ? if so which one, or which aftermarket ( i already have msd 6al and btm)
8. do you see any problems with removing the Evap canister purge solenoid, EGR valve and plumbing, and the TAB /TAD sol.