93 Cobra Booster Questions

BHymel

Mar 18, 2011
Newb here I just bought an 88 ssp coupe, the previous owner installed a 93 cobra brake booster but the car is still equipped withe the stock front discs and rear drum brakes. The problem is there is a slight hesitation when pressing the brakes and an air/vaccum sound then they grab real hard. Is there a solution to this, proportioning valve, mc etc or should I replace it with a stock brake booster?

• Sponsors (?)

I installed a new '93 Cobra booster when my engine was out last year because of the ease of installation. I drove around for a few months with stock brakes and it felt great without any problems. Sounds like there might be a problem with your particular booster. Sorry, I'm no brake expert.

Either a vacuum hose is broken/leaking, or the booster is bad... You shouldn't hear anything from it, check all the hoses. Since it's an 88, I am assuming based on your sig it is still speed density? If so, how does it run? If it runs like crap, sounds like a vacuum problem.

after paying more attention while driving I noticed that it only acts this was way at low rpms. During normal speed driving when I press the brakes I have good pedal feel and response, so I'm thinking it's more of a vaccum leak, any ideas where to start looking.

bird_dog, yes it is still speed density and runs fine.

There is one other thing to check that wasn't previously mentioned. The adjustable pushrod coming from the master cylinder. If it's too short, it can cause the symptoms you describe in post #4. When vac volume is low, the booster is slow to begin actuating the MC. Adjust it out a couple turns and retry it.