93 Cobra Power Upgrades Help

I will be the first to admit I know less than nothing about engine performance modifications. That aside, my 93 Cobra comes stock from the factory with aluminum GT40 heads and intake. Would it be worth the money for aftermarket aluminum heads or is the money best spent elsewhere? Only modifications is equal length headers, off-road x-pipe, and mf mufflers. This car is my Sunday cruiser so streetability is important to me.

• Sponsors (?)

I will be the first to admit I know less than nothing about engine performance modifications. That aside, my 93 Cobra comes stock from the factory with aluminum GT40 heads and intake. Would it be worth the money for aftermarket aluminum heads or is the money best spent elsewhere? Only modifications is equal length headers, off-road x-pipe, and mf mufflers. This car is my Sunday cruiser so streetability is important to me.
Your cobra came from the factory with Iron GT40 3 bar heads , If it has aluminum heads they have been swapped already .

They were way more potent in stock form then any stock 5.0 car .

The question is how much faster are you looking to make it ? What does the value of it mean to you because 93 cobra money is strong these days. You could port the stock heads and intake and change the stock cam out for something a little more aggressive to wake it up . All while retaining the stock cobra look which Is the way to go on this In my opinion.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users
What is your budget? If you really want to go fast, and not start swapping out or messing with parts on a very valuable car, put a supercharger on it. All your parts that are currently on the car will stay intact, you will probably gain 50-100 HP depending on the kit, and it is very reversible if you ever want to return it to stock. Just find a reputable shop to do the install. Once it’s installed and tuned, it should be as streetable as it was in stock form.

Reactions: 1 users
So you want to make your " Sunday Cruiser" a tenth of a second faster in the 1/4 mile? LOL.... Don't waste your money... Keep your beautiful car stock and enjoy it......

Reactions: 1 user
What answer do you want to hear?
Let's see some pics, that may have an effect on the answer.
on the fun side I envision a roots type blower sticking through the hood topped with a bug catcher, huge MT slicks with boiling smoke trailing, a huge, hairy tattooed arm out the sun roof hanging on to a long Hurst shifter, zoomie headers with real flames shooting out, non of that fake sticker crap, the front is up just enought to hang the hoops and straight axle off the pavement.
Or:
Leave it the way it is and enjoy it... once you start down the rabbit whole of more power you sacrifice reliability, value and piece of mind simply put.

As mentioned, for a pretty stock Cobra at this point leave it alone... it will be BIG money to try to make it as quick as even a stock mustang GT these days and it will ruin the value. If you want it streetable, just put the supercharger on like Toolow91 said.

I wouldn't touch a thing. I'd leave it alone.

If you want more power, i'd add a base level Vortech supercharger and call it a day. That will keep your streetable manners and good idle quality, but give you added power as well. Then, it's easy to just unbolt it if you ever wanted to take it off.

Unmodified, original cobras are far more valuable than modified ones, if that means anything to you. If it was mine, i'd go as far as to try and get an original exhaust back on the car.

• Agree
It depends on what your long term plans are for the car. If it’s short term, keep it bolt on. Less headaches and retains value. Me personally, I never plan on selling my Cobra so I stopped holding back on modifying for the next owner. I’m currently boosting it with a Vortech v3. Point of no return with some of the modifications I’m doing with the power pipe. You can do a vortech without making any permanent mods however.

Thanks for the replies. I am willing to perform upgrades that can be reversed in the future. I've had the car for about 5yrs and my personal fallacy is not being able to leave something alone. Reading other forums I figured B cam and TFS heads but I wasn't sure how much that would improve over stock Cobra parts. Vortech, injectors, and dyno tune maybe the better option?

I’ve said it a few times over the years, but one of the most fun engine combos I had the pleasure of driving was GT40 heads, B-cam and cobra intake with full off-road exhaust and 3.08 gears. Was driveable and sounded really nice.

The b cam cam turns on after 3000rpm, so I might be tempted to go with a custom grind. FTI has a specific GT40/GT40P cam grind but last I checked it was pricey.

All depends on how involved you want to get. We will gladly spend your money. A Vortech is expensive. A cam swap can be reversed in an afternoon.

Last edited:
Money is not really a concern. I live in Charlotte so ripping around the city is all this car sees. My ideal parts combo will low to mid rev range power but be reversible should the day come to sell. I know nothing about cam/head combos but I do want to keep the Cobra intake.

i have a stock 93 cobra...i did 355 gears...1 5/8 shortys...2 1/2 exhaust and 75mm throttle body...never had it dyno'd...but it made a big difference down low and pulls alot stronger in the upper rpms

on the fun side I envision a roots type blower sticking through the hood topped with a bug catcher, huge MT slicks with boiling smoke trailing, a huge, hairy tattooed arm out the sun roof hanging on to a long Hurst shifter, zoomie headers with real flames shooting out,
General, did you fall asleep on your Rat Fink cartoons again...

1660174051266.png

• Winner
Reactions: 1 user
For the love of God....or factory cobras. Lmao

The best advise I can give is to tag and bag the engine, stock fuel system, all the bolts, computer, and anything else stock you remove from the car. The engine has a partial vin and is priceless...you can never get another one and neither can anyone else after you are gone.

If I was in your shoes I'd buy a completely new fuel system from behind bars race cars....AN fitting in tank fuel pump hanger. Push lock fuel lines...and BBRC fuel rails Get a Dart block and have a big bore short stroke 347 built. Trickflow aluminum heads, custom camshaft, and ported Holley Systemax intake. Megasquirt MSPNP2 to control the new engine allowing the wiring to stay in tact. The stock transmission would be overpowered so a Tremec TKX would be on order with an aluminum driveshaft and Stifflers crossmember. Turbo or Supercharging wouldn't be an issue.

Honestly, if I had a stock Cobra in this market I'd sell it. I'm too tempted to modify stuff. To bastardize a cobra is completely irresponsible. With 10 to 20k you could buy a clean 4 cylinder and put all the mentioned stuff in that. Might even end up with a few grand left over from the cobra sale. Well modified will always be well modified.

If it was mine it would be like torture. The Ol'Lady's 86 LX is hard for me to see stock.

• Agree