Progress Thread '93 Notch street / strip 363 build

Combat Medic

Oct 23, 2018
Illinois
As much time as I've spent reading other peoples' build threads, I figured it was finally time to do one of my own. Fair warning...this has been a slow build (2 years, so far) and will be at least another year until it is on the road.

To make a really long story somewhat short...about 3 years ago, I decided to buy someone else's project. As many of you know, you can get some pretty good deals, but you can also end up inheriting someone else's problems. The coupe I bought was a '93 with a stock-block Vortech S-Trim 347, TKO 600, and a Moser 9" rear. It made 509 RWHP, but had an odd mix of stock brakes, street/strip and road race parts...and a spool. The plans were to drive it as much as possible and make improvements along the way. Well, eventually I figured out that no matter what I seemed to do, I couldn't get the car to launch or drive worth a
$%^&. Ultimately, a broken ring land on #8 ended the first plan.

The last time on the road.
Stang first updates.JPG

At this point I decided to completely start over. I decided to tear the car down to the shell (always fun in a 1-car garage), sell off all of the parts that I didn't want to keep, and build a serious street/strip car. The only parts that I ended up keeping were the Moser 9" (to be modified later), the TKO, the driveshaft, Spec pressure plate, and some assorted small parts.

Stang teardown 1.JPG

Stang teardown 2 int.JPG

The goals were to do through-floor connectors, 8.50 cage and mini-tubs. The mini-tub was a little more complicated as I'd already had a stock type aluminum fuel tank built by BBRC, so cutting out the entire trunk was out of the question.

BBRC.JPG

Reactions: 2 users
  • Sponsors (?)

As I sold parts, I bought the new ones on my wish list. The tubs and frame connectors are from Wolfe, rear suspension is all TRZ with Viking coil-overs, and the front is Racecraft with Strange coil-overs. I took the rear end back to Moser to get narrowed and rebuilt. I wanted it narrowed, but I could only go so far as I was stuck with putting the old wheels back on (with spacers on the back) so I could roll the car around. I ended up getting in narrowed 1.75" on each side and swapping out the spool and 3.73s with a Detroit Tru-Trac and 4.30s. The 35-spline axles were also shortened, accordingly. The folks at Moser were pretty nice, also gave me a deal on an Explorer rear disc kit. Not what I wanted but I couldn't pass it up.

Moser parts.JPG
rear with center.JPG
brakes.JPG

At this point, it was time to go to a shop for the work that is way beyond my skill level. The car is now at Morgan Performance in Hope, Indiana for the frame connectors, cage, mini tubs, and probably much more. John Morgan and I worked out a deal where my car is pretty much worked on between other jobs, so he can work other, smaller projects, and I can save a little $$ and continue to buy parts.

First up was adding adjustable control arm mounts to the 9" housing...

Rearend.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
... next was notching the rear rails and cutting out the wheel wells and part of the spare tire well for the coil-over bar. Once the coil-over mount and anti-roll bar are welded in, we'll plate the spare tire well.

Stang trunk.JPG

As I'm just going with a 550-ish hp N/A 363 for now, I decided to get some Billet Specialties 15x10s to match the front and just mounted my old MT Pro 275/60s. I went with a 5.5 back space to go with the narrowed rear.

BS Wheels.jpg

Last weekend we mounted up the wheels to mock up for ride height/shock install. I'm definitely happy with the stance.
Stang rear.JPG
Stang passenger side.JPG
Stang driver side.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Lookin' real good !!! That car is finally getting an owner it deserves. Keep us posted.

Reactions: 1 user
As I was focused on getting the chassis, brakes and suspension the way I wanted, I'd planned early on to go N/A and sell the Vortech to help finance the chassis work. I ended up getting some offers that I couldn't refuse and everything engine related was sold...Vortech to oil pan and exhaust. I started picking up parts beginning with a set of used AFR 205s and a ported/matched Vr Jr, a custom hydraulic roller from Mark@ Bullet, and a nice running (stock block) Scat 347 shortblock, Innovators West balancer and Moroso pan from a local racer.

Heads 1.JPG

intake.JPG

I figured I'd just freshen up the shortblock, throw on a carb and go play once the chassis was done. Well, $%^& happens...

Crack 1.jpg

Crack 2.jpg

...nothing like finding a nice crack in 3 and small cracks in 1 and 2. Luckily the crank, rods, and pistons looked new, and I was able to sell the rotator for almost what I had in the shortblock. I did learn a lesson or two...no more used parts and no more stock blocks. Time for a Dart block 363.

After some research and a ton of questions, I ordered a Dart SHP 363 from Zach@ZSR Engines. Zach was a huge help...what we ended up going with is:

Dart SHP block
Lunati Voodoo crank
Molnar billet rods
Mahle pistons (11:1 total static)
New custom cam (247/253, .619/.621,109)
Trend pushrods
Morel Lifters
LSx spring kit from FTI

Along with my parts:
AFR 205s
FTI LSx spring kit
Morel lifters
Edelbrock Vr Jr
AED 750 HO carb
Moroso Pan
Innovators West balancer
Meziere electric water pump
Kooks 1 3/4"x 3" headers

With the TKO and 4.30s, should be a bit obnoxious, but a fun street/strip car.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
I’m kinda curious why the lift numbers are so low. I figured you would be in the .600 range.

That’s gonna be a great engine though. Sounds like you’re building a bad little car. My innovators West balancer is a beauty.

What’s your first gear ratio in the Tko? I’ve got 2.95 in my a5 and it ain’t that bad. I do have 4.10s which aren’t quite 4.30s but fairly close.

If you’ve got 3.35 I feel bad for you lol.

Good catch on the typo, 96pushrod. The cam has .619/.621 lift.

I’ll definitely have to agree with you on the Innovators West balancers...very nice pieces!

No, luckily I have the TCET5008 TKO 600 with a 2.87 first gear. I can imagine first gear would be almost non-existent. Are you running a 28” tire on your car?

Last edited:
That’s gonna be a healthy cam, should be great. I love the morel lifters I’ve got I’m my engine, they have no issue at 6500 rpm.

I run a 27in tire. First goes pretty quick but it’s not too bad. We’ll see how my new tires hook after I get some beefier axles in. With any street type tire you have to really feather it in the first 2 gears. Right now, with the gearing and tire size, it tops out 4th gear at about 127 mph which is about good for what I’m looking to hit.

Reactions: 1 user
Should work well...looking at a shift point right around 7000, so I’ll have to see where I trap with the 28” tires and 4.30s.

The DR Pros are just mounted so I can roll it around. I plan on mounting some 28” QTPs whenever it hits the road. Are your 27s QTPs?

Last edited:
shortblock.JPG

The shortblock is done, but I've decided to make a change to the combo. After some discussion with Zach@ZSR, I'm ditching my old AFR 205s and getting a new set of 225cc High Ports. The AFR 205s probably wouldn't have held back this combo too much, but it seemed like a waste to make any compromises at this point. Plus, they'll be much better for a future blower or turbo.

The new 363 combo:
Dart SHP block
Mahle pistons (11:1 total static)
Lunati Voodoo crank
Molnar billet rods
TFS 225 High Ports w/ LSx spring kit from FTI
ZSR custom cam (247/253, .619/.621, 109)
Trend pushrods
Morel Lifters
Ported Edelbrock Vr Jr
AED 750 HO carb
Innovators West balancer
Meziere electric water pump
Moroso 7 qt Pan
Kooks 1 3/4"x 3" headers

Reactions: 8 users
I haven't been able to make a ton of progress in the last month or so as I've changed directions on the build a bit. The chassis is on the back burner until after the holidays as I still need to make some decisions and take a trip to Indy to drop off some parts at the chassis shop. At this point, we've pretty much decided against trying to salvage the front frame rails, lower radiator support and fender skirts. The frame and radiator support aren't too bad, just a little dinged up, but the skirts had some shoddy repairs and customization done by the previous owner. We found some really crappy sheet metal work and a ton of bondo. Instead of spending a ton of time and $$ on repairs, we're going to end up doing some sort of tube front end. I just have to decide what we aren't going to cut off for ease of securing the fenders and hood. You know, "street car" stuff.

The 363 also got held up do to some build changes. Like I'd mentioned before, Zach had talked me into upgrading to a set of 225 High Ports and a larger custom H/R cam. Last week we also decided to ditch the Victor Jr in favor of a Super Victor. The final kick in the wallet was finding out that my (very) old Moroso pan wont clear the 4-bolt main caps. Add a new pan to the bill too. The engine will be done in the next couple of days, but Zach sent some teaser pics that I thought I'd share.

225 High Ports that Zach bowl blended and assembled with my LSx springs from FTI.
High Ports.JPG

Completed longblock. Pump, pan, front cover and intake should go on today.
LongBlock.JPG

Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: 5 users