93 wc v8 main case swap- what years are interchangeable

Kett63

Jan 30, 2021
Reading Pa
I have a 93 mustang v8 trans. Specifically tag # 13 52 218. It has a small crack at the oil drain. I would like to swap out the main case. What “years” would work? Specifically I bought the attached replacement case off eBay. Seller said it would fit but I want to be sure before I am SOL at the garage when they go to swap the cases. Do all the wc cases fit regardless of the year or engine type?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    676 KB · Views: 59
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    613.3 KB · Views: 56
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    560.8 KB · Views: 59
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    515 KB · Views: 50
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    420.5 KB · Views: 50
  • Sponsors (?)

There’s a wide range of interchangeable main cases. I’d say 1985.5 thru 2010 T5 main cases will interchange. That’s just for the Mustang. You could probably throw a the camaro and S10 into the mix as well. The pre-93 cases lack a pin used for the 5-R reverse torsion spring

that case has the pin for the reverse torsion spring, like your 93 cobra case should have, so it’s likely a 93-97 case. The exact year is cast in the side of the case in a circle. Looks like it’s right here (arrow) but out of frame. I’ve circled the 5-r spring pin

EC716BF2-97A8-4AC9-878C-24D5B984E7D6.jpeg

• Useful
Reactions: 1 users
Ok great, yea the stamp there is “6”. Assuming 1996. Yes, always wondered what that post was. The cobra trans is a great gear box. I have it in my 63 Falcon Sprint. Still angry about the crack... I emailed the seller and he reassured me again this will fit when I go to swap. Just want to be sure so there are no”surprises “. Thanks for your input. I feel better about this.

Also did the mustangs have dextron 3? Thought dextron was gm and mercon was Ford. I have a couple quarts of valvoline mercon5 on hand. Anyone use this or is there a better atf fluid you guys like?

The two fluids are so close they are considered interchangeable, which is why you'll often find bottles labeled "DextronIII/Mercon"

The T5 was developed by BW for both Ford and GM applications, and specified DexII originally, and DexIII after 1993.

Ford later changed the recommended fluid to MercV

I either run D3/Merc or MercV depending on what's on the shelf at the autoparts store I go to.

2.8 quarts

• Useful
Reactions: 1 user
The two fluids are so close they are considered interchangeable, which is why you'll often find bottles labeled "DextronIII/Mercon"

The T5 was developed by BW for both Ford and GM applications, and specified DexII originally, and DexIII after 1993.

Ford later changed the recommended fluid to MercV

I either run D3/Merc or MercV depending on what's on the shelf at the autoparts store I go to.

2.8 quarts
Ok cool, so it sounds like these t5s aren’t too picky just dextron3/mercon5 and they are happy. I probably will use my valvoline mercon 5 then.