94 5.0 or 2002 gt convertible

rich1374670x

Jan 17, 2019
NH
Hi, New to the Mustang as I have only had f bodies. I am looking at two mustangs, a 94 gt with the 5.0 and 5 speed, 39,000 miles and showroom condition. I was originally looking for a convertible but this car is showroom condition and caught my eye. The 02 is a 4.6 5 speed with 160,000, new rebuilt motor at 100k. has a functional hood scoop and overall great condition except for the drivers seat. What to do???? My plan is to buy a car just for the summer. Cars shows and weekend drives as I have a truck and company truck as my daily.
Thanks in advance

• Sponsors (?)

If its for the summer then you don't have to worry about the worst problem, water leaks(just be careful washing especially with power washers). Tops are expensive to replace and you gotta be a little bit a masochist to DIY IMHO. Check the floors and under the back seat for rust(although usually a problem on older cars). I think the 4.6's will last a long time as will the 5.0, I do think proper maintenance is more important on the 4.6 though. The extra oomph in the '02 is much appreciated. No claimed expert here but I have owned 6 or so rag tops, 63 1/2 Falcon sprint, '59 Pontiac Catalina, 1963 Corvair Spider, '85 Mustang GT, '86 Mustang GT, and '94 Mustang GT. Oh and a 1971 Bronco with top off most of the time. Nothing like a top down ride in the warm evening in shorts and t shirt going up the coast or mountains or hell anywhere. I do miss mine sometimes.
Sorry went off there(old age).
I would want receipts and to research what was done to the engine rebuild etc. wm burns is right IMHO about the '02 being a better choice. After owning 39 cars(so far)I have found patience usually helps with the search, I looked for many months to find my '02 GT( not a ragtop this time)cream puff with 83K and gorgeous inside and out for $5340.00(Cali. car too).
Good luck and post some pix when you get it.

If this is only a weekend/summer car, get the low mileage 1994 5.0.

Not a knock against the newer cars as I did own a 2003 GT I bought new, but that car also has 160K miles. If you were to find one with say 80-90K miles i'd be a little more open to that.

But, low mileage stock cars do garner attention and if you are looking to sell it after the summer, I think the low mileage car would brng the best chance of getting your money back plus maybe even make a profit.