Engine 94 5.0 strange oil leak

DeanS

Nov 25, 2018
Florida
Hi all, We recently put a 94 mustang 5.0 in a 66 mustang. When we did it we regasketed the complete engine, installed a ford b cam and 5 speed. We now have a smoke problem on the drivers side. There is oil all over the drivers side of the block from the head gasket down to the oil pan. The oil is also all over the bottom of the master cylinder and the steering box and arm. We cleaned it off with cleaner an ran the engine. It did not appear to be leaking. When it was taken around the block and put under power it came back with the oil down the side of the block again. Now have checked and the head and valve cover are dry no leaks above the head gasket.
To my knowledge there are no pressurized oil passages in the heads, just the oil return passages. The crankcase is not pressurized, there is a pcv and a vent in the oil filler tube. I can't figure out why the oil is leaking out so much when the car is under acceleration.
Does anybody have any ideas before we tear it down?
Thanks

Last edited:
  • Sponsors (?)

Well finally got a gopro mounted and it does look like it is spraying out of the head gasket. I have never seen a bad gasket spray oil ou. Must be some compression leaking by the oil drain back port. I'll see if I can post the video, never done it here. If I can It is in the second half, had to turn it on before mounting it so the first part is very dark, but it lightens some when it is outside. Well it wont let me upload the video but heres a couple pics. You can see the black area at the back of the manifold and the smoke coming out. You can see in the second pic that the wet area gets bigger quick as he is stepping on it. GOPR0430_1.jpg GOPR0430_2.jpg
GOPR0430_1.jpg
GOPR0430_2.jpg

Well, finally had to remove head and check head gasket due to no other options. As suspected found no problems at all. Spent a day trying to figure out where it was coming from. All of sudden figured it out. When we put the 5.0 in the 65 mustang we had to use the old front sump oil pan and put a front oil dipstick in. Totally forgot to plug the side dipstick hole. Duh. All that work just to plug a hole. You can actually see it in the pics.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Well, finally had to remove head and check head gasket due to no other options. As suspected found no problems at all. Spent a day trying to figure out where it was coming from. All of sudden figured it out. When we put the 5.0 in the 65 mustang we had to use the old front sump oil pan and put a front oil dipstick in. Totally forgot to plug the side dipstick hole. Duh. All that work just to plug a hole. You can actually see it in the pics.

Yup, that'll do it. Good thing is, a standard 1/8" NPT tap threads it with no extra drilling, and then you can stick a plug in it.

Kurt

• Useful
Reactions: 1 user