:94 Aode Shifting Problems

94Panda

Jan 18, 2017
Bought a 94 v6 a few months ago and the tranny is having some problems. In automatic, the gears don't slip at all, but to make the car shift I have to let off the gas. If I dont let off the gas it will go up to redline (I've never taken it into redline, not sure if it's safe or not). Also, I'm not sure if it's skipping a gear or not, but the gear after first gear there is just no power the in car until I get up to about 65-70. The next gear after that is at 100, so not sure if there's a gear missing in there or not.

In manual it's a whole nother story. When I have it in 1st gear there is a little slippage, but I actually have more power in manual 1st gear rather than the automatic one so I use it to get up to speed if I need to. But in 2nd gear it slips so bad it's pretty much undriveable. When it's cold it's not so bad, but after driving for awhile it gets to so bad even a little throttle will make it slip. Also when I'm 1st or 2nd on manual when I let off the gas it drops speed really fast. Like almost jerks you forward when you let of the gas completely. This doesn't happen in automatic.

The fluid level is correct and we recently changed the fluid with high mileage ATF and two bottles of Lucas transmission fix. It helped but didn't really fix anything. I would just like to get this fixed and get my stang running good. Thanks for reading.

• Sponsors (?)

Sounds like your transmission is baked. They're really way too complex to diagnose even in-person, much less online. Take it to a shop (a lot of them do free hook-ups to their monitors) and have them tell you what's going on. Usually using the manual gear selection bypasses the electronic controls in the valve body. If it's slipping in manual, it's probably just worn out. On the brighter side, inexpensive recycled units can be found, and installation isn't bad at all in our cars (no subframe to drop, etc.)