94 Cobra Exhaust HELP

89FiveOhGT

Founding Member
Aug 1, 2002
Lenexa, KS
Well the sound bug has bitten me again and its time for lil mor aggressive sound on the ol Cobra. It still has the stock catted H-Pipe but I have JBA Shorty Headers and a Dynomax Catback.

The question here i guess is does the dynomax have the 2 ¼" pipe or is it 2 ½" ? I know this sounds dumb and I should know this but I bought the car with the dynomax already on there so I'm not sure what size it is exactly.

Second question is I had flowmasters on my 89 GT and loved it didn't mine the drone at all. It still had stock headers but it had a Hi-Flo Catted H-Pipe.

Should I go with the flows or should I try something else. All I really want is more aggressive tone. Keep in mind I'm only buying the mufflers. Will the flows pretty much attach right where the dynomax's mufflers were? I have 3.73 gears as well.

I've tried doing a search on the Warlocks but saw they rust easy is this true. Thanks for you help and I'm open to any good suggestions of what to go with as well. Thanks

Tyler

• Sponsors (?)

89FiveOhGT,
The Dynomax catback system you have will sound much more aggressive with a high flow h or x pipe. I would suggest that you change to a Magnaflow X-pipe. You can pick a new one up on Ebay for around $380. The Magnaflow X-pipe is all 2 1/2" stainless steel. I went with the Bassani on my 95 Cobra but I put the Magnaflow on my wife's 2000 GT. I think the Magnaflow is a much nicer piece. I am currently waiting for my Spintech mufflers and I will use the Dynomax flowtubes and tailpipes.

Thanks
RAWSN8k

If you want an agressive tone....I think an off road X- Pipe with a set of Spintech mufflers would sound wicked on a 5.0 and the cool thing is that there are all sorts of cheap x pipes out there.....they all essentially work the same anyways...

I recommend the H-pipe. The X does sound aggressive but i think the best thing about a mustang sound is the deep throaty sound that comes from an H. I'd say keep the dynomax mufflers, at least for now and try to find some used flowmasters. The new ones are all steel so they never wear out. Get 40 series if you want loud, "Original 40 Series" is the louder ones, "Delta Flow 40 Series" is the next and "50 Series" are more quiet. Or the Hooker Aero Chambers sound pretty much like flowmaster with out the drone.
Just get a tape measure or ruler and measure your pipes to see what size they are. The end of the tailpipe would be easiest. They are most likely 2.5 but even if they are not, it is no big deal on a stock motor.