94 Gt Ignition Not Getting Power

Gt_mach

Mar 12, 2017
Hi, so i have a 94 gt that I just swapped out the dash for a newer one. I took the new plastic and put it on the original dash frame with harness all connected like before. When the ignition switch (not cylinder) is pushed into position the car doesn't start, the starter isn't getting juice!

Before I did the swap it was starting just fine. I hope someone can help, HEEEELP lol.

• Sponsors (?)

In the meantime, I'll try to make heads or tales out of these diagrams from the haynes manual

20171031_163506.jpg
20171031_163529.jpg

Hi, so i have a 94 gt that I just swapped out the dash for a newer one. I took the new plastic and put it on the original dash frame with harness all connected like before. When the ignition switch (not cylinder) is pushed into position the car doesn't start, the starter isn't getting juice!

Before I did the swap it was starting just fine. I hope someone can help, HEEEELP lol.
Your title says "Ignition", are both ignition and starter motor failing to get power? imp

Your title says "Ignition", are both ignition and starter motor failing to get power? imp

The ignition switch attached to the steering column doesn't start the car when pushed into position. I actually found the right diagram in the haynes manual and will keep posting until prob is resolved, patiently to save money and do it myself, learn...yadaya lol

20171031_165425.jpg

What plastic part of the dash did you replace?
Some questions:
Good battery and connections
Any wires disconnected other than instrument panel, if that is the area we are talking about
Stick or auto

Reactions: 1 user
What plastic part of the dash did you replace?
Some questions:
Good battery and connections
Any wires disconnected other than instrument panel, if that is the area we are talking about
Stick or auto

The entire dash is plastic (ABS, insulation, vinyle) and I took the entire black and tan dash out of a my 94 convertible. I then took out an entire black dash out of a 2001 mustang and and swapped the dash plastic from one dash to another in order to have an original black dash vs painting my tan dash black. There are a number of screws that hold the plastic to the frame (note: the model numbers for both dashes are the same, seamless swap) here's a picture slightly distorted bc panorama camera view.

20171023_113649.jpg

The point is, after the swap and all connectors are in place, BRAND NEW battery...no juice to the ignition switch, and i'm working to solve the issue. Thanks so much for helping

Thats a big job, not hard but a big one, likely you just missed a connection someplace, I'd start at the ignition switch checking for power and go from there, you'll do the :doh: thing and then the :banana: thing when you find a ground wire off or a connection not plugged in and it fires right up.

Thats a big job, not hard but a big one, likely you just missed a connection someplace, I'd start at the ignition switch checking for power and go from there, you'll do the :doh: thing and then the :banana: thing when you find a ground wire off or a connection not plugged in and it fires right up.

The swap itself was easy since the seats had been removed for black race seats ready to be installed, all the interior panels were also removed for swap. Now to check for power like you said.

Tomorrow I'll spend time looking at the ignition and keep you posted

The dash is already on the car, now to learn a few things about ignition diagnostics thanks to everybody giving great tips! I got my hands real dirty this past summer doing manifold swaps for the first time and a bunch of top end stuff...just learning in the process, trying to not get pissed when sh** goes wrong.

During the past few days I've been reading up on ignition system, and it's making sense...we'll see if i can find the problem in ignition system.

Again, no lights, no fuel pump, no nothing LMAO

SUCCESS! Today checked fuses and relays with a ohmeter and lots of youtube videos, and found everything in the engine bay was fine but the dash had zero power. Turns out the large harness connector at the driver's wheel well was loose!

I'm so happy to have pulled this off as a hobbyist. The mechanic said it would take him two days to do the swap and $250, I did it in 5 days but cost me 0

Thanks everyone

Reactions: 2 users