Electrical 94 GT MAF

• Sponsors (?)

Should I notice a difference in my idle if I unplug my MAF while car is running?
Reason I'm asking is I have a stumble at idle and someone told me to unplug the MAF and if there's no difference then my MAF is no good??

Yes, the car will run horribly when the MAF is unplugged (limp mode). The MAF is telling the ECC how much air is entering the motor. It adjusts fuel accordingly.

Run a code scanner and see what codes are stored.

Do the free stuff first like checking plugs, plug wires (non burned up by the header), etc.

Vacuum leaks are notorious for making these cars run horribly.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users
Not without some modification. If the 75MM MAF has the 4-bolt flange like the stock 70MM unit you would have to oblong the 4 bolt holes. Still I believe most 75's are longer than the stock unit, don't think it will work honestly.

What you can do is buy an air filter with 4 studs and just bolt the filter to the 75MM MAF. I know UPR makes a kit, I had one on my old 94 back in the day. You can also just buy a cold air kit.

Like this http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5335821607&icep_item=290556243360

Last edited:
Yes, the car will run horribly when the MAF is unplugged (limp mode). The MAF is telling the ECC how much air is entering the motor. It adjusts fuel accordingly.

Run a code scanner and see what codes are stored.

Do the free stuff first like checking plugs, plug wires (non burned up by the header), etc.

Vacuum leaks are notorious for making these cars run horribly.
Codes 652, 113, 157, 628 a little overwhelming. Any help greatly appreciated

Codes 652, 113, 157, 628 a little overwhelming. Any help greatly appreciated

DISCLAIMER - the below are just comments and in no way the fix to your code issue. Merely providing my two cents. Checks are free so I'd start with that first before buying / changing anything.

652 & 628 - These are automatic transmission codes. 652 - AOD-E torque convertor clutch solenoid circuit failure. Make sure it's plugged in, not damaged, the connector isn't bad, etc. 628 - Converter slippage will trigger this code. I assume your transmission isn't shifting very well and you're having some driveability issues in your transmission. Note - Normally these codes happen when someone changes the AOD-E to a 5-speed manual. The cable is disconnected because the T5 transmission doesn't have a spot to connect it to and the car has no converter.

113 & 157 - These usually are together, never get one or the other. Your idle problems lie here. 113 is for the IAT sensor which is the intake air temp sensor between your MAF and Throttle Body. The 157 is the MAF code. You probably have some sort of wiring issue going on either on the IAT or the MAF. If your cold air piping isn't tight or has a leak you will get these codes. So it's either a short (bad wire or wires somewhere near the IAT or MAF) or you have an air leak in that area (check your connections and make sure everything is air tight. Also many say don't adjust your TPS your ECC will adjust it accordingly which is true but if it was installed out of the .98V-1.13V range it will cause a wonky idle. All three of these things must be in unison.

DISCLAIMER - the below are just comments and in no way the fix to your code issue. Merely providing my two cents. Checks are free so I'd start with that first before buying / changing anything.

652 & 628 - These are automatic transmission codes. 652 - AOD-E torque convertor clutch solenoid circuit failure. Make sure it's plugged in, not damaged, the connector isn't bad, etc. 628 - Converter slippage will trigger this code. I assume your transmission isn't shifting very well and you're having some driveability issues in your transmission. Note - Normally these codes happen when someone changes the AOD-E to a 5-speed manual. The cable is disconnected because the T5 transmission doesn't have a spot to connect it to and the car has no converter.

113 & 157 - These usually are together, never get one or the other. Your idle problems lie here. 113 is for the IAT sensor which is the intake air temp sensor between your MAF and Throttle Body. The 157 is the MAF code. You probably have some sort of wiring issue going on either on the IAT or the MAF. If your cold air piping isn't tight or has a leak you will get these codes. So it's either a short (bad wire or wires somewhere near the IAT or MAF) or you have an air leak in that area (check your connections and make sure everything is air tight. Also many say don't adjust your TPS your ECC will adjust it accordingly which is true but if it was installed out of the .98V-1.13V range it will cause a wonky idle. All three of these things must be in unison.
Thanks for your reply!!!
Transmission shifts perfectly. Runs really well besides the rough idle. And I replaced Both MAF & IAT also checked all wires and double checked.