94 GT Needs Ball Joints

DaveRog

5 Year Member
Nov 18, 2017
Our 94 GT needs ball joints. With 109K I'm not sure if I should replace the control arms or just the ball joints. The car rides and drives just fine and I hate to tear apart the whole front end to replace all the bushings, spring isolators, sway bar links, etc. We average about 1,500 miles a year these days. Anyone care to weigh in on this?

• Sponsors (?)

No real way to tell just based on mileage. If the control arm bushings look bad, or if the control arms are corroded, I'd change the arms.
If they look fine then it's your personal preference - whether you'd prefer to bolt up new arms or to press in new joints.

Either way your disassembly is going to be about the same so not sure what you'd save by just changing the ball joints. Cost-wise they're not that far apart either. Flip a coin maybe? :) I tend to replace arms myself as I don't have a press, and we get lots of rust in my part of the world.

Reactions: 1 user
You're running on 24 year old stock bushings I'd say it's time to replace some things. Like mentioned your installation time is about the same.

A-arms don't go bad unless they've been in accident / bent or heavily corroded.

I'd get that kit with all the suspensions bushings and make a weekend of it. Recruit some friends, grab some beer, get a few creepers and go to town.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users
What about the control arm bolts? Ford says they are "one time use only". To me that sounds like lawyer talk.

They have locktite on them, about it. You can clean the old goop off, use new goop, the stock bolts are fine. Well, that's if they are not bent or missing threads (your discretion).

I had to grind off a section of my A-Arm just to get it to fit on the QA1 tubular K-Member. That's even more extreme than reusing stock bolts, car was fine.