94 Gt Radiator Fan Blowing Wrong Way

Bunnelly

Sep 2, 2017
I got a stock 94 Gt convertible I've had problem with the fan for a long time. Fan motor just wouldn't come on but if you jumped it, it worked. I replaced the ccrm and the fan connector. Still didn't work so I just wired it to a switch temporarily. It's a 2 speed fan. But now the fan is blowing air out the front of the car. Not sure how to fix it. It's a 3 wire connect. High and low speed work just spin the wrong way

• Sponsors (?)

Al
Is it using the factory wiring, or something you made? If the fan is spinning the other way, its a polarity issue.

All I did was cut the three wires, grounded the middle wire and ran the outside wires of the fan connector to a three way switch to switch it from low to high and off and ran the power to the switch. And yea it's running backwards. Sorry I'm just confused because if I switched the wires I wouldnt think that fan would be able to be 2 speed. If any of that makes sense

I got a stock 94 Gt convertible I've had problem with the fan for a long time. Fan motor just wouldn't come on but if you jumped it, it worked. I replaced the ccrm and the fan connector. Still didn't work so I just wired it to a switch temporarily. It's a 2 speed fan. But now the fan is blowing air out the front of the car. Not sure how to fix it. It's a 3 wire connect. High and low speed work just spin the wrong way

Al

All I did was cut the three wires, grounded the middle wire and ran the outside wires of the fan connector to a three way switch to switch it from low to high and off and ran the power to the switch. And yea it's running backwards. Sorry I'm just confused because if I switched the wires I wouldnt think that fan would be able to be 2 speed. If any of that makes sense

you need to return the wires to their original positions with solder connections and shrink tube.

Mustang-94-95-CCRM-AC-Diagram.gif

There are two wire coils in your fan unit. On low speed, one of the coils is energized. On high, both coils are energized.

A three position switch is not going to work. You definitely have power moving in the wrong direction, probably from the low supply wire to the high supply wire and have the ground terminal on the wrong pole of the switch. If this switch were installed as correctly as it could be (seeing that it's the wrong switch for this application) then the BEST that you could hope for is to toggle between each energized coil and achieve low speed in both positions.

It is INFINITELY better to diagnose and properly repair than it is to start hacking off connectors and installing shade-tree work-arounds. Ditch the switch and restore the wires and connectors to their original locations. We can then help you diagnose the problem. Please also provide pictures of your repair and connections.

Reactions: 1 user
Is it using the factory wiring, or something you made? If the fan is spinning the other way, its a polarity issue.
you need to return the wires to their original positions with solder connections and shrink tube.

Mustang-94-95-CCRM-AC-Diagram.gif

There are two wire coils in your fan unit. On low speed, one of the coils is energized. On high, both coils are energized.

A three position switch is not going to work. You definitely have power moving in the wrong direction, probably from the low supply wire to the high supply wire and have the ground terminal on the wrong pole of the switch. If this switch were installed as correctly as it could be (seeing that it's the wrong switch for this application) then the BEST that you could hope for is to toggle between each energized coil and achieve low speed in both positions.

It is INFINITELY better to diagnose and properly repair than it is to start hacking off connectors and installing shade-tree work-arounds. Ditch the switch and restore the wires and connectors to their original locations. We can then help you diagnose the problem. Please also provide pictures of your repair and connections.

Alright I will put it back thanks

So I have the same problem and also have my fan running on a 3 pos switch. I was told that the fan when on high does not need the constant power to the low. Which is the reason I have the 3 pos switch.

In order to commiserate more on these fan motors, we almost need to know what type of motor they are: Series-wound, PM DC type, or what? The wiring diagram confirms that two windings are in play, instead of huge heat producing "dropping" resistors. Hard to believe they still do Climate Control motors that way! imp

Not to hi jack the tread but it’s over a year old so.... Fan always on in IgnOn/Run position.

Using 94 GT dual speed fan and had a 118 (over max volts) and changed to 116 (reading outside limits) after swapping the ECT.

Swapped the EEC and codes did not change 116 still present. The 116 could be ok as it was on an engine that was not quite operating temp but would still think reading at 60 degrees would register as in limits.

I did check EEC pin/wire at the relay location:
- continuity to ground when EEC/IGN is OFF is NO CONTINUITY
- when EEC/IGN is ON, EEC grounds the pin/relay wire and I have continuity to ground with only mild resistance

So seems the EEC is completing the FAN circuit and grounding the relay when in the IgnON/Run position - both EECs are doing this so I do not think its the EEC itself. I have included a diagram of the 2 speed set up.

Setup:
- LOW circuit is on/off via EEC
- HIGH circuit is on/off via dash switch
+ if EEC has Fan on then switch creates HIGH speed
+ if EEC has Fan off then switch creates LOW speed
- Dash switch works as it should and turns Fan on low when EEC circuit fuse is pulled
- Dash switch works as it should and seems to push Fan to high when Fan is already running due to EEC

This should work I think but I’m missing something. I know the CCRM had some AC functionality in it and the EEC tune has some logic for turning low/high speed on based on speed as well but my set up should be ok.

Comments?

Thanks

Attachments

• 746DC73B-79CE-437D-829E-D377E3E5F390.jpeg
    746DC73B-79CE-437D-829E-D377E3E5F390.jpeg
    146.3 KB · Views: 154