Electrical 94 Gt With Airbag Code 61

Hi I had noticed a beeping sound off and on my 94 GT I'm in the process of fixing. Found out that the bulb for the warning light was either bad or the socket. So I switched it with one I knew was working now the beeping is gone but getting airbag codes or was I did get code 44 the 52 both went away now I'm getting code 61. Can anyone help me figure out what would cause code 61 to show up? Thanks in advance!

• Sponsors (?)

Mustang 1995 Air Bag Diagnostic Codes

Normal Operation
The air bag diagnostic monitor measures the resistance between the ground connection at its bracket and the reference ground at Pin 18. If the air bag diagnostic monitor measures a difference of more than 3.0 ohms between the ground at Pin 18 and the ground at its bracket, the air bag diagnostic monitor will store in memory and flash out a DTC 21 on the air bag indicator. Should the difference in resistance between Pins 18 and air bag diagnostic monitor bracket ground be serviced or otherwise reduced to less than 3.0 ohms, the air bag diagnostic monitor will flash out a DTC 61 (or a higher priority DTC if one exists) on the next ignition switch cycle.

Possible Causes
A high resistance reading at the air bag diagnostic monitor bracket ground can be caused by:
  • A poor attachment of the air bag diagnostic monitor due to loose mounting, dirt, or corrosion at the air bag diagnostic monitor bracket mounting surface(s).
  • A poor reference ground at Pins 10 and 18 of the air bag diagnostic monitor Circuit 57 (BK).

It sounds like the airbag diagnostic monitor may have been removed / replaced at some point (or it thinks it has). If you believe everything is in good shape again, you can try the code-clearing procedure in the attached link. The information at that link seems to indicate the code 61 shouldn't be permanent (just present at the next ignition switch cycle). But 61 seems to indicate the 21 is no longer present.

Last edited:
I already found that post and done the reset procedure had to do it about 5 or 6 times but the the codes stopped but the battery got weak so I took it out and have it charging. Saw where others were saying that losing power would cause similar issues hopefully it'll stay off when I put the battery back in.

If you found that link then I'm not sure what you were asking. My post explains what causes a code 61, as does the link. It's customary to say 'thanks' around here as you'd left out those minor details and we don't happen to be mind-readers in our un-compensated quest to help you.

Letting the battery get weak (low voltage) can cause it to throw a code (disconnecting entirely does not). If the voltage goes low enough, the unit may even pop the fuse. You can find all of that information in the posted link, and you might end up having to replace a fuse and re-run the reset procedure a 7th time. If you're lucky (I've only had that happen a few times when it got so bad that all I got was a solenoid click on the starter) then it'll be just fine.

I had a similar code when I disconnected an airbag plug. The metal contacts are made of aluminum, and they oxidize when exposed to air. When you unplug and re-plug a connector, they never line up exactly the same way. If you unplugged one of the airbag connectors recently, the oxidized parts of the metal are likely touching, causing the "high resistance". Basically, go buy a can of electrical contact cleaner, and go back through the connectors you just unplugged to fix the airbag issue. Spray both sides of each connector, let them air dry, then plug them back together. That should fix your airbag code.