94 Mustang Automatic Transmission Backup Lamps Don't Work

Hi I have an 94 GT that I rebuilt the transmission in now the backup lamps don't work unless I put it in reverse first then push the shifter slightly towards park. I don't know if the linkage may be off slightly the mlps slightly off or the connector for the mlps the wires were exposed this is how they looked before but they've been taped up. Does anyone have any idea why and how I can fix it? Thanks in advance!
28924544870_056d3e5ba1_c.jpg
20160801_095137[/url] by mustangnick73, on Flickr[/IMG]

• Sponsors (?)

the sensor is brand new and so are all the sensors and solenoids I replaced all of them when I rebuilt the transmission the alignment seems to spot on I done it before reinstalling the transmission. Think I should remove the mlps and carry it back for replacement?

I'd give adjusting it a shot before returning the sensor. On different cars the cables aren't all the same, so I'm not sure what you're dealing with there. The second detent on the lever is reverse, and the lights should come on easily every time. The sensor is meant to be aligned in the third detent position (neutral), with the lines on the sensor matching the lines in the inner ring where it sits on the lever. The cable adjustment would be more likely if the gears didn't align with the gear indicator on the console.