SN95 94 Mustang Gt 5.0 Vibrating

DGunn

Apr 16, 2016
Hi, new to the forums, hoping to pick a few of your minds on an issue i'm having. I'm quite new to cars myself, hope i'm in the right place! My knowledge thus far has come from google haha

The issue with my 94 5.0 gt is vibrating/shaking through the shifter to the point it bucks my hand clean off the shifter over 4k rpms. It shakes/vibrates in all gears, and when idling. I have checked the ujoints in the driveshaft and the tranny mount thus far. I'm going to go have a look at the harmonic balancer now, any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Little bit more about my car:
5 Speed Standard
302 Bored 0.40 Over
Trick Flow Heads
Trick Flow Upper and Lower Intake
BBK Cold Air Intake
BBK Shorty Headers

Thanx in advance guys!

• Sponsors (?)

When I got my fox it was pretty busted up. It vibrated a ton and I fixed a few things and each thing helped a little more until I finally don't have much of an issue unless I'm going over 80 mph now.
The things that I replaced/fixed are:
Motor mounts
Transmission mount
Harmonic balancer
bushing that sits inside the shifter. You take the shifter off and theres a little plastic piece that the ball of the shifter sits in. Mine was cracked.
My pinion angle was way off and crooked but that might not be your issue.

I bought my vert for a steal because the PO couldn't figure out a vibration issue. He went through mounts and the harmonic balancer...fuel injectors....plugs...wires...and distributor. I bought it and in 30 mins. it was fixed....the plastic fan had cracked...felt like it had solid motor mounts. If I were you I'd take the belt off, start the car, and see if the vibration goes away.

Well I ordered a harmonic balancer Monday, so today should be in next week. I'm getting the car jacked back up tonight to have a look at the tranny mount and then figure it out what the motor mounts look like haha

I have little to no mechanical experience, any and everything I'm doing is from reading and videos, so I appreciate any guidance

If it's doing it in neutral at idle, then you can count out any of the drivetrain components (driveshaft, ujoints, rear end, wheels, etc). Go ahead and count motor mounts out too while you're at it. Sacked motor or trans mount will cause change the driveline angle which causes vibration. That won't be an issue when the vehicle is sitting stationary.

I'd concentrate on harmonic balancer and/or clutch or flywheel issues. If you've had the clutch changed recently, but not checked the balance between the flywheel and the pressure plate, that could be cause for concern. If this was a fox, I'd suggest checking the fan as well, but 94–95 cars utilize an electric fan, so that's ruled out.

Does the vibration go away, when the clutch is depressed? That will also give you clues.

Also, when was the last time the car had a tuneup. I've seen "engine vibration" that the owners have sworn was a balance issue turn out to be a misfiring engine. Don't rule that out. Run the car for codes and do a cylinder balance test before throwing any money at it.

Reactions: 1 user
If it's doing it in neutral at idle, then you can count out any of the drivetrain components (driveshaft, ujoints, rear end, wheels, etc). Go ahead and count motor mounts out too while you're at it. Sacked motor or trans mount will cause change the driveline angle which causes vibration. That won't be an issue when the vehicle is sitting stationary.

I'd concentrate on harmonic balancer and/or clutch or flywheel issues. If you've had the clutch changed recently, but not checked the balance between the flywheel and the pressure plate, that could be cause for concern. If this was a fox, I'd suggest checking the fan as well, but 94–95 cars utilize an electric fan, so that's ruled out.

Does the vibration go away, when the clutch is depressed? That will also give you clues.

Also, when was the last time the car had a tuneup. I've seen "engine vibration" that the owners have sworn was a balance issue turn out to be a misfiring engine. Don't rule that out. Run the car for codes and do a cylinder balance test before throwing any money at it.
Mine seems to do it when i start reaching 3k rpm in 5th gear. Does it in 4th too. Not low speeds but more during acceleration until i let off the throttle. 89 ford mustang gt btw.