94 or keep & improve my 98?

markwsoil

May 26, 2003
Chicago
I currently have a '98 GT vert bone stock except for 3.73 gears, in excellent shape ~ 71k miles. I can get a '94 GT vert that appears to be in excellent, similar shape for ~ $6,500.

The (main) question is - do I keep the '98 and improve it (maybe PI intake and cams) or sell it and get the '94? Are there issues with the '94 like incompatibility of parts from the Fox 5.0's (e.g. fuel system, cams, intakes, etc?).

I'm getting the itch to have a faster car, and I can see that I could spend a lot of money on the '98 and maybe not end up that much better off. I got a Mustang vert because I was just too damn scared to ride my Suzuki in Chicago traffic any more. But, of course, the '98 is kind of sedate, even with lower gears in it, which makes me want something that's more comparable to a bike in performance. I'm thinking the '94 might be cheaper / easier to build up than the '98.

Your thoughts, gurus of the '94-95 machines?

• Sponsors (?)

It all depends on what you are looking for as an end-product.

But I would not hesitate to go with a 94-94 GT over a 96-98 for one second.

The parts are more plentiful due to the fact that it is a 5.0

markwsoil said:
I'm thinking the '94 might be cheaper / easier to build up than the '98.

Well you're definitely right there.

$6,500 sounds a little steep for a '94 GT .... but that's just me. I would take a 94-95 over a 96-98 anyday as well. This is my second one. The benefit of beauty and smoothness of the SN95 ... yet the good old pushrod 5.0. You can't beat that. Both cars need to be modded, IMO ... but which do you think responds the BEST ... with LESS $$$?

that depends on how much miles and how good of shape the 94 gt is actually in. I bought my 94 GT coupe in the summer of 2004 for 6500, with 72000 miles and in excellent shape. The 94 will be much cheaper to mod, and easier to work on. As well the 94 will feel a lot more beastly down low than the 98, I would reccomend getting a 5-spd though, skip the auto on the 94. Once again though, it all comes down to what you are looking at doing, but obviously we are bias over here, and we like the 94s a little better.

i would go for it. get a 5-speed hardtop. the verts are really heavy. you'll have to spend more money on a vert to make it as fast as the hardtop. (Generally....excluding Paul)

parts are generally cheaper.
parts are generally easier to find.
parts are generally easier to install.
car is cheaper.
car is better.....:)

Well, its no secret that I don't care for mod motors :D

I have recently started to see with the right bolt on (KB) you can coax them to make a bit more torque. :)

Anyway ... Am I correct the 96 to 98 years were the slowest of the modern mods?

If that is correct and you tack on the extra weight with it being a vert and the power sapping auto trans.

Seems like you would be down for the count or 0 for 3

Like the others said, I'd go for the stick Coupe cause the less weight and stick trans is nothing but .....................

:banana: Free Horse Power :banana:

Besides, Everybody and their Dog's gota mod motored SN Stang :(

Its Cool :cool: to be different ;)

Grady

This is coming from someone who has owned TWO 95 GT hardtops, one was a t-5, and the aode I now have: Make SURE it's a 5-spd. Just way more fun to drive.

Now, I love my AODE 95, it's in absolute cherry condition, drives/runs excellent, and I am very happy with it. I was in the market however for another T-5 car, when this one fell in my lap: 42,000 miles, vibrant red, near flawless condition, bone-stock & unmolested, $5,700. I absolutly couldn't pass on it. But man do I wish it was a 5-spd.

i have a 95 gt vert. and its an aode but i really don't mind the fact that its an aode it is that bad, sometimes wish it was but then again i don't. the conv. is nice but i am a fan of the coupe. One nice thing about the conv. is that it really doesn't get that cold of the winter its about the same as a coupe, but in the sun the conv. is awesome. I like the 5.0 it has a lot of potential to the engine and is a lot of fun, also it sounds a lil meaner then the mod.

First off, I love my 5.0 SN95 (currently under the knife for a fox intake swap). But if I had a mod motor SN95. . .

I'd put in a 4-valve, T56, and boost the crap out of it.
eplus2.gif

To the poster; there is a guy selling his 98 GT for $6000 and he has a lot of mods on it. Don't how fast it is or how fast you want your car to be but for what he wants for it and what he has done to it, it might be worth it. Here is the link to the car: http://forums.modulardepot.com/flyshow.php?&showid=858 I think he is from Valparaiso, Indiana 46383

Just throwing it out there for ya.

EDIT: Just saw that he doesn't really have and go mods. Still, lots of suspension mods.