94 Wierd Issue

@smodeus

Dec 9, 2004
Clearwater, FL
Okay so this has happen to me 4 times and the past month or so and cannot figure it out. I will be driving when all of sudden my car almost dies, engine running but If I give it gas nothing happens it just running but not going anywhere I will let sit for a sec than all of sudden it runs.

Now the last time did the same thing but this time I give gas and started to buck like crazy and actually die. But most of the time it just drops down and I give it gas and goes no where but not actually die for about maybe 50 sec to a minute than goes back to normal.

Now it also has a small slight bucking when normal driving as when I am driving I will feel a little loss of power or hiccup when driving it intermediate and very very small not really buck as more of a hiccup or fluctuation in the driving. Oh also the normal just stall when idle.

• Sponsors (?)

I would check the PIP Stator sensor on the distributor, and please if you replace the whole distributor make shure is not only a refubished one , because is common for those to fail also.

"Okay so this has happen to me 4 times and the past month or so and cannot figure it out. I will be driving when all of sudden my car almost dies, engine running but If I give it gas nothing happens it just running but not going anywhere I will let sit for a sec than all of sudden it runs."

Do you have a 5-speed or auto? The way the above paragraph reads, it sounds like a tranny if you have an auto.

Sorry it hard to explain what exactly happens it's a 5-speed it basically, just I dunno shuts down to like idle but does not want to go anywhere I press the gas and I almost feel friction coming back at me and the car does not go anywhere I let go of the gas let sit there and it comatose state and than all of sudden it back to normal.

"Okay so this has happen to me 4 times and the past month or so and cannot figure it out. I will be driving when all of sudden my car almost dies, engine running but If I give it gas nothing happens it just running but not going anywhere I will let sit for a sec than all of sudden it runs."

Do you have a 5-speed or auto? The way the above paragraph reads, it sounds like a tranny if you have an auto.

Okay so this has happen to me 4 times and the past month or so and cannot figure it out. I will be driving when all of sudden my car almost dies, engine running but If I give it gas nothing happens it just running but not going anywhere I will let sit for a sec than all of sudden it runs.

Now the last time did the same thing but this time I give gas and started to buck like crazy and actually die. But most of the time it just drops down and I give it gas and goes no where but not actually die for about maybe 50 sec to a minute than goes back to normal.

Now it also has a small slight bucking when normal driving as when I am driving I will feel a little loss of power or hiccup when driving it intermediate and very very small not really buck as more of a hiccup or fluctuation in the driving. Oh also the normal just stall when idle.

i had the same symtoms on my car. it ended up being bad battery cables believe it or not. check your grounds on the engine.

So it happened again and I better analyzed it. The car all of sudden just losses power and almost dies if I let go of the gas or put in neutral it's will idle fine.

Now here is the weird part I can rev up the engine in neutral to my heart galore, but as soon as I put it on drive and hit the gas petal it start dieing, and giving me a lot or resistance, and will start bucking until it stalls, but if I put in neutral rev the engine and wait it out and it will go away as nothing happen now this as happened to me 4 to 5 time past couple of months.

Now the fuel filter as been changed a couple months ago, the fuel pump is 2 years old.

So it happened again and I better analyzed it. The car all of sudden just losses power and almost dies if I let go of the gas or put in neutral it's will idle fine.

Now here is the weird part I can rev up the engine in neutral to my heart galore, but as soon as I put it on drive and hit the gas petal it start dieing, and giving me a lot or resistance, and will start bucking until it stalls, but if I put in neutral rev the engine and wait it out and it will go away as nothing happen now this as happened to me 4 to 5 time past couple of months.

Now the fuel filter as been changed a couple months ago, the fuel pump is 2 years old.

Have you monitored fuel pressure while this happens? Do you hear any popping or misfiring leading up to it taking a dump?

Have you monitored fuel pressure while this happens? Do you hear any popping or misfiring leading up to it taking a dump?

Nope no popping or anything, and I have no means of monitoring fuel pressure, but if it was a fuel issue would I still be able to sit there and rev it up to 4500 rpms in neutral with no issue, and only when I put in 1st gear or any other gear and give it gas does it die, give me resistance in the gas pedal and buck.

It could be one of many things :crazy:

I've seen coils do that when they start to go bad :(

With no or not much load ... they are fine

Increase the load and they can do just as you describe

These happenings can be an on and off kinda thing which makes it
so very :bang: :bang: :bang:

Good Luck :D

Grady