944 Turbo are these cars fast?

• Sponsors (?)

Depending on what year it is, the Turbo model could have 217-247hp. With a weight of 2800 compared to your weight of 3300.

It could be anywhere between a low 15 sec car or a high 13 second car stock.

Don't feel bad if you lose. It cost $30-40k back in the '80s.

The 944 was all about handling, not straight line speed. If it's stock, you'll likely be able to outrun it in a straight line. Don't make any bets against it at the track or an autocross though.

it is funny I find this thread in here today...I was just driving to the office real quick with my gf in the car and was just cruising along because she doesnt feel good right now. This 944 turbo with exhaust and wheels kept screwing with me while i am trying to get into the lane on the otherside of him to get on the main road here. finally had to punch it to get infront of him and get over...so he follows me up on the main road and trys to get me to race...what an a$$. Gf said if she had fealt better she would have told me to waste him :)

I raced one on my way back from GA....car had some exhaust work and seemed very confedent with his GF in the car that he could be me. We went and in 3rd (60ish punch) I pulled him to a little past my rear bumper. Then in 4th I pulled another 2 or so cars on him.

It was pretty quick...ad I not had the cams, I think it would have been even or maybe him pulling on me a little.

I want cams AHH..Last night a guy in a Challanger pulls up with a big block all caming and everything we talk at the red light he was like nice car i was like thanks his dang car was shaking mine..I told him to get on it and he did and dang it was so sweet!!Sorry had to change the subject..

CobraRed_96_GT said:
they can be fast, they weigh between 2650 and 2800lbs dry and have a fair amount of power - about a 3.0L 4 cyl N/A the turbo i think is like a 2.5 liter so big engine for a 4cyl. All about handling tho
I talked to a guy with a nice ass yellow 928 at a gas station one time, i asked what kinda motor was in it and he said 3.0 litre 4banger, i said "a 4banger?, thats a pretty big inline 4". He told me it was the biggest inline4 in the world. He said it wasn't very fast, that it was more of a twisties car. I guess it was with a full roll cage and racing seats. He then proceeded to fishtail out of the gas station. I think his plate read: last928

I had a 944 for awhile. The 944 Turbo's are quite a bit quicker. If you don't know how to tell the difference in the looks, then smoking a 944 doesn't mean you'd smoke a turbo. The N/A version has the front/rear bumper that stick out like a notch vs. being rounded. The NA power is very smooth compared to the stang. It didn't seem to have the dead spots my stang did. I'd say a turbo would be comparable with a stock GT. Yeah they were expensive at their time, but they were also pretty quick in their time too...back when mustangs and camaro's were pretty slow too.

Anyways, I'm thinking all 928's had V8's......hence 944-I4....928-V8.

But....in a turbo 944....if you spin em' off the line, he's gonna be gone.