95 Cobra :Electrical Problems:

red ink

Founding Member
Apr 8, 2002
Arizona
Hey all,
My car is getting old. Well, if you consider 120000 old, then its old. If i dont run it for 24 hours, the next time i try to start it, it takes FOREVER. It cranks and cranks and cranks. My fuel pump sounds fine everytime i rock back and forth through the ignition. Eventually after about 30-45
seconds of cranking it'll start
Another big problem. My Electrical System light flashes from time to time while driving. When it happens, the check engine light flashes on and off, the ABS comes on, and the car just goes Limp, but doesent die. My stereo shuts off totally, then after a few seconds, the car becomes normal and my stereo comes back on. If i floor it, the car will go with the lights on, but bucking extreamly hard. The alt. gauge is usually about more than half way up reading plenty of charge. It will bounce within a few millimeters of its original position.

Keep in mind i'm at school away from home and have no time to work on my car like i used to. I just wonder what i should do to give it a nice tune up. I just had the o's replaced 2 months ago and it ran nice for a while. :bang:

• Sponsors (?)

Are you up at ASU or NAU?

First thing I would do is yank diagnostic codes (the CEL does not need to be on to do this. Codes can be stored even though there is no light on at the present time).

I would go over the primary electrical connections (battery cables, etc). a bad connection can cause some real issues and even a voltage spike which can kill the puter.

and a diagnostic FP gauge might help out with the cranking issue. I would look for low pressure or a flood condition. you can prime the pump several times before cranking to see if that builds enough pressure for it to start.

good luck.

how old is your distributor? i had the same problem with the car going limp while driving and then it would be find. also had the hard start after it would die.
ended up being the pick ups in the distributor. but changing all the ignition components will help out too. (thats if it's an ignition problems.) could be a bad ground.