95 Cobra Left turn bump/clunk

Starting this morning I noticed a fairly firm clunk when turning left at lower speeds such as a street corner or parking space. It is usually between the 9 o'clock and 6 o'clock position. When I return to straight, there isn't a return clunk.

It drives fine on the highway but its likely because I'm not turning far enough.

It has yet to happen with a right turn. I barely feel the clunk in the steering wheel but i feel it very good under my feet.

It sounds a lot like the sound my pickup made when the swaybar bushing failed if that helps.

Any ideas? :shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

Is it a clunk just when turning or is it a clunk when turning over bumps or a rough road? The likely culprits are inner or outer tie rod ends, lower ball joint, sway bar links and / or bushings, or in some cases a blown out shock. Theyre all easily checked in your own driveway if you have a floor jack that you can jack the car up under the lower control arms. Jack it up so you have a few inches of clearnace and then stick a prybar under the tire and pull up. Any movement or clunking is usually the lower ball joint. You can also check the shock to see if its so weak that you can compress it just by prying up on the tire with the bar. My passenger side shock is blown out and is easily compressed this way and it makes a lovely noise when hitting bumps on that side. To check the tie rods, hands on the tire at 3 and 9 positions and wiggle. Youll be able to feel if theres any play. An assistant might help so they can look for movement. If theres movement here youll have to determine if its inner or outer tie rods or you could replace them both but youll need to get an alignment. Sway bar bushing and links you can do a visual and then grab the bar and rock it and you should feel if theres any movement in the bushings.

It does it on flat ground but a speed bump while turning left will also cause it.

I did notice the drivers side tire might be wearing a little on the outside edge. It may be an optical illusion but with this noise its very possible.

The noise plus tire wear usually means ball joints right?

I can't get a floor jack under the car (stupid lowering springs) so its off to the shop I guess.

Thanks for help.