'95 F-250 - Need Help Removing Broken Fuel Filter Stem

5.0 Nostalgia

10 Year Member
Feb 28, 2003
CT
Just got a beater F-250 mainly for plowing my driveway and driving to the dump. Noticed it was leaking gas at the filter. The fuel filter was corroded and the outlet port going to the engine snapped. When trying to remove it, that piece came off and stayed in the connector to the line. I can't get my fuel line disconnect tool to release the stem because the clip seems to be damaged. After playing around with it, I was able to get the stem to turn but I can't get it out. Anyone have suggestions on how they are done this?

Thanks for your help!

Attachments

• thumbnail.jpg
    thumbnail.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 138
  • Sponsors (?)

Does it have a bail clip like shown below?? If so,click the following link and see if the pictures and writeup listed will help you release or get the
bail clip out.The writeup states that all 92-97 F150/250 trucks use your type of line/clip setup.It also mentions using the wrong (with too short of a nipple) fuel filter can cause clip/line release issues too.Maybe the previous owner installed the wrong filter?? If so,install the correct one which is also shown/listed in the writeup.Regardless,this writeup should help you get it loose/out.

https://www.supermotors.net/registry/media/1035424

31b6cW6JzZL._AC_SY400_.jpg

Thanks so much for your help! Yes, it does have a bail clip like the ones shown. Am I correct in assuming from the article that I can just pull aggressively on the nipple of the filter that is stuck in the fitting to get it out? Or see if I can use a tiny screwdriver or file to break the bail and pull everything out. I am afraid that if I pull hard on the stem and break it I won't have anything to pull on. It looks like once that is out I can just clean the fitting and insert a new bail.

Well it looks like you made quick work of that problem.Does the filter seem to be the correct one,with the correct length nipple/stem?? Was just curious if the previous owner installed the wrong one and that was the reason for the difficult removal or if it was just a case of crud/corrosion/age taking its toll?? Im glad Ive got hairpin/duckbill clips on my rides.I definitely think I'd be lightly oiling the filter nipple OD or fuel line ID,before you connect the lines to the new filter. Maybe that'll help when you have to replace it again.

Last edited:
The filter appeared to be correct. It was just so corroded that the nipple had a hole in it (causing a leak) and broke when I tried to remove it. The plastic pieces in the Mustang are much easier to work being with but I think the F-Series lines are a higher quality. I did put a little oil on a q-tip and coat the inside of the line before reinstalling. Thanks again for your help!