95 mustang gt conv. electrical problems help please

chefrsg

Mar 19, 2010
#7 (permalink) Today, 04:34 PM
chefrsg
Member Join Date: March 2010

95 mustang gt 5.0 just quits no power at all.. help

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i have a 95 mustang gt conv. i have been having alot of problems so were to begin... lets start with the worst. about 2 months ago i got into my car and tryed to start it it clicked then no power so i figured the battery cables tighten them down crancked up....then about two weeks later i get in all power gone then this clicking noise in the trunk happens and no power to the car..i took the battery cables off then put them back on boom cranks right up.. for about two weeks it was fine then i changed the exhaust runs great.. then it started to idle funny and act wierd so i had plugs wires cap and rotor put on ran better but not good enough so i had the timing checked they said it was good but something electrical was causing a miss.... so now what then as i drive sometimes when i take off the check engine comes on and never stays on. i took it to the shop to see if they could get a code but no codes but the light dosnt stay on to get any unless im driving it. so this leads me to today.. i was driving to the store and bam no power everthing goes out no power nothing so i push the car to the side and try to start it and the power came on alittle then drained off, so i disconnected the battery and let it sit for 10minn hookie it back up vroom started fine .. put gas in started right up backed up died.. turned the key vroom just hauled ass home and this is were i sit so if anyone has any clue PLEASE HELP ME.... I dont have money to get a new car , my car is my life line without it i will not have a job or a way to get one.. thanks scott

• Sponsors (?)

Do you have a bad connection with your battery? Are the leads clean to get a good connection?

How old is the battery?

Thats a fishy problem...my guess is its related to the battery and it is a connection, but I really don't have any other ideas.

Careful, most places try to hook up a scanner to the plug under the dash. That connector is NOT USED for the 5.0 V8's, just the V6's - one of Ford's cost-saving tricks. The V8 has a OBDI plug behind the passenger-side shock tower. There are two plugs, one large black one and a smaller gray one.

go to your local autoparts store and either have them check it for free or purchase the scanner. Not sure what state your in but CA no longer allows autopart stores to do this for free. I just bought the scanner for $30.

From what you said, it sounds likes it has something to do with your cables. I know you said you replaced the cables but I would double check all the connections and definitely all of your grounds.

this is crap

well its killing me the battery cables are new ..i tore the car apart to find an aftermarket alarm and took it out.. so far so good knock on wood. well now check engine light problems ..first i got new exhausts flowmasters and o2 sensors. still get check engine.. bought a code reader it said tps.. changed it..still didnt fix the problem..now i get a miss fire code does this mean i need to change the plugs again i just changed them a month ago do you think after changing the exahust and o2 sensors and tps that the plugs could be fould or bad?...someone please help its killing me its cousting me every free penny and i have too much in it to find another hoopty to try to rebild at least this car i no what ive got in it.. new top, new tranny, new plugs, wires,cap, rotor, tires ,new exhaust all the way back, new o2 sensor and now new tps what elese could it be...

dont know if this helps, but i had the same problem when i had my tiburon.. turns out the power wire from the battery to the alternator was loose on the alternator.. car was shutting off at times, throwing the CEL, then starting back up fine as if nothing happened..id double and triple check all your power and ground wires.. good luck