95 Mustang Serious Issues Please Help!

chads300

Aug 5, 2012
hello all i am new to the forums and in dire need of help. we are currently experiencing a major problem with the mustang. i will try to descibe the problem as best as i can: we were driving down the interstate when i noticed the temp guage was in the red(overheated) so i got off the nearest exit. i put it into neutral to coast off to the berm and when i did so it shut itself off......after letting it cool off i attempted to see if it would start and it turned over 3 times very slowly then stopped turning over. so after having the car towed to the house i tried it again with no lluck(acted as though the battery was dead). so we hooked jumper cables up and it still turned over very slowly but it did start up. but upon starting i noticed the car did not want to idle at all but if you rev it up past 3,000 rpm it sounds as it should makes no noises whatsoever but when it drops to idle it spits/sputters and wants to shut off. also it will only start if jumped started it will not start on its own. please help me get a general idea on what may be wrong. thanks for your time .

• Sponsors (?)

Hello new Mustang-er. I hate to brother you with small "details", but what model year Mustang are you having problems with? There are differences trouble shooting an ODB1 vs ODB2 car.

In the mean time, have you attempted to turn the motor over by hand? How hard is it? What is the condition of the oil?

Consider performing a compression test. The V6's don't like to be over heated.

hello sorry its a 1995 automatic. no i have not attempted this yet honestly i am alot better at working on quads but i want to learn so i am up for anything. as for oil there are no metal shavings nor is there antifreeze in it.