96 - 02 Engine Swap Complete: Pics + Vid

Oct 7, 2003
Thanks goes to Alex2028 and Turbo92PGT for helping me and my tech through some of this.

Anyways... It's done and running extremely well. It took about 2-3 days and no major problems. We did end up switching over the timing cover, which some didn't have to do.

The only other problem was the 2nd sensor, which we ended up sticking down on the engine block right next to the drivers side Exhaust manifold. (don't have pictures of this, can't see it unless the car is in the air)

We rapped it in some heat wrap stuff (real technical, I know) and it seems to be working. It literally is only a couple inches from the EMA.

Could use some feedback from anyone who plugged in the 2nd sensor there.

Also, my car still runs warm for some reason. I replaced the radiator and everything. Could my gauge on my speedo be broken?

Here's a few pics of the process:

empty.jpg

This was my old engine, had some erosion goin on there.
car19.jpg

While I had it up I also put on some 03 Cobra Control Arms, Mine were squeaking terribly.
done01.jpg

On a side note, the impacts of going over bumps is significantly improved with these. It no longer feels "jarring", but more like a padded bump. Very nice.

In the process of being installed.
done08.jpg

woohoo04.jpg

Complete.
woohoo10.jpg

The difference in power is definately noticeable. My car is no longer a turd! Highly suggest this install if you can afford it. I also was able to pick up a Mac O/R H and I had that installed today.

Here's a vid clip of the exhaust:

Video Clip 7.5mb DL

• Sponsors (?)

Enter Username said:
The only other problem was the 2nd sensor, which we ended up sticking down on the engine block right next to the drivers side Exhaust manifold. (don't have pictures of this, can't see it unless the car is in the air)

Could use some feedback from anyone who plugged in the 2nd sensor there.
sorry didn't see the thread, I would've suggested The All Mighty View attachment 495071 for both sensors

mexis97gt said:
what hood is that? also i love the side exit exhaust i regret letting my buddies talk me out of doing it.

It's a Saleen Heat Extractor hood.

And yea, I love the side exhaust. I'm ordering the side skirts soon with the mach chin spoiler to balance it out.

Say, I have a '97 Stang and I'm considering doing an engine swap myself. Just not digging the high compression ratio a head swap would leave me with. My question is what accessories from your car swapped right over? Like alternator, water pump, ac compressor??? My understanding is that with the exception of a sensor or two that everything just bolts right on. Is this true? If so that is awesome. I found a couple of low mileage '01 engines in great shape with all the goodies cheap.

dz7b7h said:
Say, I have a '97 Stang and I'm considering doing an engine swap myself. Just not digging the high compression ratio a head swap would leave me with. My question is what accessories from your car swapped right over? Like alternator, water pump, ac compressor??? My understanding is that with the exception of a sensor or two that everything just bolts right on. Is this true? If so that is awesome. I found a couple of low mileage '01 engines in great shape with all the goodies cheap.

alternator, ac and fuel stuff swaps right over. You use the new pi water pump. I mounted the extra intake sensor tapped into the T-stat housing.