96-98 cobra vs 98+ fbody

So they are both about the same price, make similar power, and are both attractve cars. Overall, what do you think is the better car and why? Think of things like reliability, powerband, braking and handling, weight, mod potential, quality, etc.

(I know im gonna get biased answers here, but I know alot of you have good opinions and bring up good points, so try to put personal preferences behind you when you answer.)

• Sponsors (?)

power wise the Comaro has a better 0-60 due to a large block and low power band, but the Cobra has top end power and will generally pull out ahead 75+. Braking goes to the comaro at 114 feet 60-0 with the cobra at 121 feet. Handling I'd have to say Cobra due to better wieght distribution on top of being about 60lbs lighter. Looks - I like the Cobra obviously, but the 98+ comaro doesnt look to bad. Mod potential on the Comaro is high and you can get a lot of power out of that block - but it's semi-expensive and these cars break axles when you put anything that can grip out back. I basically say 4v OHC > 2V OHV

The LS1 Camaro will beat up on the Cobra, not only in acceleration but top end too and the 6 speed is nice.
The Cobra is nicer to work on as the LS1 is a b****!!!!
Cobra is a nicer all round vehicle, better fit/finish, Mach 460 sounds better than the Camaro sound system. The Camaro/TA feel very plastic like inside and are prone to squeeks and creaks and you get more road noise on the highway than the Cobra.
In other words:
If you want to go fast, get the LS1!
If you want the better car, get the Cobra!

I would get a 98+ WS6 if it where me. They look awesome and LS1 ftw.

I probably would have looked at them but the convertible versions look awful and I wanted a vert.

My next performance car will be a C5 vert. You may be able to get a C5 coupe for not much more than a very nice 96-98 Cobra or LS1 Fbody.

drive both and see which one you prefer

a friend of mine had an auto 99 ws6 and another had a 6spd '00 SS, both were alot faster than my car but in the end i'm glad i had my gt

nothing wrong with the f-bodies, i just prefer my car overall

well what is it exactly your looking for??

power wise, i would definately say ls1. but for overall handleing braking and suspension i would give it to the cobra. b4 i had bought my gt, i test drove both a cobra and a camaro and must say the cobra was better hands down, why, because the camaro rode like *****. cnt explain how much i hated the ride quality of it, not only that, the camaro just doesnt have that look at me appeal as the cobra does imo

get the cobra, and dont doubt urself for one minute, the potential is there for both of them...

Fbody = more power, better rear suspension, lower center of gravity, higher top speed, faster in 1/4, faster 0-60, better weight distribution, optional t-tops, stronger trans (T-56), stronger bottom end (500++hp), cheaper to make power - cam/bolt-ons = 400+rwhp, better shifter position, better gas mileage 28+mpg.

Interior is a wash - both are plastic and nothing to write home about. Exterior looks are subjective.

power wise the Comaro has a better 0-60 due to a large block and low power band, but the Cobra has top end power and will generally pull out ahead 75+. Braking goes to the comaro at 114 feet 60-0 with the cobra at 121 feet. Handling I'd have to say Cobra due to better wieght distribution on top of being about 60lbs lighter. Looks - I like the Cobra obviously, but the 98+ comaro doesnt look to bad. Mod potential on the Comaro is high and you can get a lot of power out of that block - but it's semi-expensive and these cars break axles when you put anything that can grip out back. I basically say 4v OHC > 2V OHV

A 96-98 cobra will never generally pull ahead on a LS1 engine, infact it will get killed at top end if anything. Those suckers pull :mad:

I would go with a 99+ LS1 or a 98 with a 99+ motor.

The 96-98 Cobra can't compete with a 98+ LS1 when it comes to power. The LS1 will make anywhere from 290-305 rwhp to the Cobras 255-260 rwhp in stock form. LS1's easily can hit 12.9's in bone stock form and are nasty when it comes to bolt ons. I have yet see a 96-98 Cobra with bolt ons and cams only hit 370rwhp but I see LS1's make that with just bolt ons and no cams. LS1 can hit 500+ rwhp NA without changing the block or going up in CI

Handling will be a toss up as the Mustangs UCA/LCA quadshock handles the same as the F-Body's LCA/Panhard/Torque Arm setup.

Interior goes to the Mustang.

It is all what you prefer and your goals. If you can't decide and like both and can work on both, then get both. it really solves the problem:D

I was in the same boat not too long ago. All the LS-1 F-bodies I found were either 100,000 mile beat to hell redneck rides, or old man still in the plastic 2002 and no more made collector condition. I couldn't find anything between. The F-bodies cost a crap ton to modify. Full exhaust is gonna be $1000 +. Complete LS7 intake swap will be $1500. LS7 head swap The interiors are junk. I like the handling of F-bodies, but the view out is not too great.

It sounds like you want cheap, so go with a 96-98 Cobra. You will be happier, and will find a better deal. Honestly I'd just step up and get a 1999-2004. I don't find the stock 96-98 Cobra's to be all that fast. I have not been impressed by pre-03 Cobras with anything less than a s/c. I have drove and riden in many. They just seem to be missing something.