96-98 Cylinder (non-pi) Head Secrets

TopDeadCenter

May 15, 2004
For all of you 96-98 Guys out there that want to kick yourself for the extreamly restrictive heads equipped with non SVT 96-98 4.6's..there is a great section on 96-98 Head Secrets in the June 2004 (Display till May 18, 2004) 5.0 Mustang & Super Fords magazine.

Now, this article covers heads and secerts for 96-98 heavily. Discovering the flaws inside and out. It turns out that the non-PI heads arn't as bad as some think. The Guys from Livernois and 5.0 Mustang Teamed up and did this 5 page article and it is def. worth reading if you need some help, and it might prevent you from spending the money pit of a bullit intake or buying brand new PI heads.

Bottom line is see if you can find it and read this, what im really wondering is has anybody tried this? What's the Cost? Is it worth the time that it would take? They're saying it's hella cheap for those who are into mildly modding cars...OPINIONS PLEASE! :bs: ?? :shrug: Don't bash me to hard i just know how much HP potential is in the heads of the Modular 4.6's..I mean i figure if keeping your non PI heads and getting them shave, machined, etc. and whatever they are talking about..hey it might just be worth a try, if you have the money.

Swapping a non-PI intake valve with a PI is likely good for around 15 hp? Hmm..almost sounds to easy..hmm can you say cha ching?

www.livernois.com

For more information: Email me at [email protected]
Aim SN: Speeddemon060
[/B]

Maybe you can get online and find the magazine article.

• Sponsors (?)

Turns out if you swap the the NPI intake with a PI one you will take car of alot of the flow problems. That is my plan on mine instead of a head swap. By comparison, with my 4.10's, I can hang with an 03 GT (unmodded except for muffs) through 1st and 2nd. Only until 3rd does it pull a fender on me. Better flowing intake will get me even or ahead with my mods. I'm not even contemplating the head swap anymore.

I find this whole thing really funny...
I was called a moron,stupid,idiot,dreamer,etc..when I told people the same thing a year or so ago.And now,it's the hottest mod for a Non-PI car..about like the PI camswap that I was the first to do about 2 years ago as well.
Livernois didn't do crap for testing or "development" they're just capitalizing on the experiments of myself and a good friend of mine.And honestly,the flow numbers for their ported non-PI's are laughable compared to the ported Non PI heads I've got here from Renegade.
JL

JohnnyLangton said:
I find this whole thing really funny...
I was called a moron,stupid,idiot,dreamer,etc..when I told people the same thing a year or so ago.And now,it's the hottest mod for a Non-PI car..about like the PI camswap that I was the first to do about 2 years ago as well.
Livernois didn't do crap for testing or "development" they're just capitalizing on the experiments of myself and a good friend of mine.And honestly,the flow numbers for their ported non-PI's are laughable compared to the ported Non PI heads I've got here from Renegade.
JL
Granted...I remember you saying that and now you can officially say "I told you so". Go ahead, you deserve it. I'm glad I took your advise and held off on the swap. My pocket feels much better now. The ONLY thing Livernois has done is develop an adapter. Anyone can do the tests they performed. You just were their guinna pig IMO.

coramprat said:
Granted...I remember you saying that and now you can officially say "I told you so". Go ahead, you deserve it. I'm glad I took your advise and held off on the swap. My pocket feels much better now. The ONLY thing Livernois has done is develop an adapter. Anyone can do the tests they performed. You just were their guinna pig IMO.
I'm not gonna play the "I told you so" game.
This whole thing should make people look really hard at vendors,and what their motives are for talking down certain parts.These heads have yet to be tapped for the potential that they have.
Remember,one of the guys that talked down the non-PI was our buddy SD Wheeler...and we know how good of a guy he is eh?
I've butted heads on this very subject with another vendor that is active here...make your own conclusions.
JL

JohnnyLangton said:
I'm not gonna play the "I told you so" game.
This whole thing should make people look really hard at vendors,and what their motives are for talking down certain parts.These heads have yet to be tapped for the potential that they have.
Remember,one of the guys that talked down the non-PI was our buddy SD Wheeler...and we know how good of a guy he is eh?
I've butted heads on this very subject with another vendor that is active here...make your own conclusions.
JL
How did you 'mod' you PI intake? Is it a secret or can it be purchased at a reasonalbe fee?

coramprat said:
How did you 'mod' you PI intake? Is it a secret or can it be purchased at a reasonalbe fee?
My friend Kris modded the intake at his place with high-temp epoxy.He did that to transition the ports better than just bolting on the intake,and he actually has that intake back right now,and has it for sale-I've got a bullitt coming-it will be here tomorrow :)
JL

Ok...was just curious. I've heard some people using epoxy to mount the new intake but I was unsure of how reliable it is. I'm not inclined to get the Livernois adapter if I don't need too.

I really don't see a problem with the epoxy method at all.This allows you to use the NPI gasket,and it becomes a simpler swap
I'd prefer to see it done on a new intake that has had no type of petroleum products on the surface,but it's worked fine for the used intake that I had on my car.
JL