96-98 guys beware

• Sponsors (?)

cltgt said:
I had some weird sounds coming from that area before and thought it was t/o bearing. turned out to be universal joint bearings were turning into dust.
I had one do the same thing. It started as a vibration above 2000 RPM's in 4th and 5th. It eventually worked it's way to all gears. Almost like I had a hum in a subwoofer. Removed the DS and looked into the dustcaps...and found dust. The needle bearings had disentagrated.

So at work I park on an incline that makes me roll forward. It's really slight, maybe a 6-8" raise for the total length of the car. So when I was leaving work I let the car drop down to normal idle, pushed the clutch in and held onto the brake. Put the car in neutral and then let the brake off and eased the clutch out as I rolled. The noise continued after the clutch was released until the car stopped rolling. Maybe a wheel bearing? Shock/strut/spring noise?

every one keeps changing to pi heads but did you know they did a comparison in mm&ff below .450 lift the pi heads where ahead but after npi heads took the lead. the cams were the main difference 96-98 had around a .473 lift but in 99 they bumped compression right at a point and there cams where around .500/.537 sorry forgot actual lift but they are close.:lock:

ive seen the head difference size but i am going off flow numbers

coramprat said:
I had one do the same thing. It started as a vibration above 2000 RPM's in 4th and 5th. It eventually worked it's way to all gears. Almost like I had a hum in a subwoofer. Removed the DS and looked into the dustcaps...and found dust. The needle bearings had disentagrated.

I have a noise that is driving me up the wall. It occurs when I press the clutch and from the inside of the car with the doors closed, it sounds exactly like a 'hum in a subwoofer'. You replaced the needle bearings?? I don't know what those are but could you tell me how you fixed it? I think my throw out bearing is bad too, but I don't know ... any help would kickass! :hail2:

DTNODYA said:
I think my throw out bearing is bad too, but I don't know ... any help would kickass! :hail2:
well if your TO bearing (Release Bearing) is bad it'll squeal when you're off the clutch, as soon as you put al little pressure on it it'll stop making noises

dunno about the feedback hum sound

DTNODYA said:
I have a noise that is driving me up the wall. It occurs when I press the clutch and from the inside of the car with the doors closed, it sounds exactly like a 'hum in a subwoofer'. You replaced the needle bearings?? I don't know what those are but could you tell me how you fixed it? I think my throw out bearing is bad too, but I don't know ... any help would kickass! :hail2:
If your bearing are bad you'd replace the u-joint. The bearings can't be replaced really. The noise would occur while driving when the driveshaft is rotating. I just went ahead and bought an aluminum driveshaft and called it a day...:nice:

If you are getting noise from the clutch it's possibly the throw out bearing. It would make noise whether it is rolling or not.

coramprat said:
If your bearing are bad you'd replace the u-joint. The bearings can't be replaced really. The noise would occur while driving when the driveshaft is rotating. I just went ahead and bought an aluminum driveshaft and called it a day...:nice:

If you are getting noise from the clutch it's possibly the throw out bearing. It would make noise whether it is rolling or not.

Well, it started when my car would be idling in neutral, I would hear the TO bearing (or that is what I thought/think due to the commonality of them going bad) making a 'chirping' sound. When I pushed the clutch in (disengaged) the noise went away. Then like two days ago, I was sitting in my car just letting it run, went to pull in to the garage and heard a noise that sounded like feedback from a stereo system (if that makes sense). It was not coming from the speakers. When I start to take off (clutch engaged) it makes that sound and fluctuates with my rpm's just like audio feedback. That is the best way I know how to describe the sound. So, at first it chirped, I would push the clutch in and the chirping would stop. Two days later, it started with the car audio feedback noise or whatever .. Hope that made sense .? .?

Ok Ill give you guys the low down on my noise...Now this all happens when my car is cold, keep that in mind. Now first thing i will notice is a squeak from the clutch/housing area that almost sounds like a set of worn brake pads when u start getting metal to metal contact. The next noise is when the clutch is depressed, its the LOUDEST whine i have ever heard. Now what does that sound like.

SiLVeR_96 said:
damn:nonono: Should i get it changed or wait for my TKO??? What i should say is it going to be a problem:shrug:
Your TOB is shot...probably tearing into the clutch fingers. That's what mine did...god awful noise. The TOB fell out in pieces when I pulled the tranny. You won't be able to shift much longer so I hope your swap is very soon.

This freaking squeak is driving me nuts. It happens when I roll forward on any kind of an incline and it's coming from the front of the car. I don't think it's a brake but probably a suspension problem. How would I check that out? I've been pushing down on the car and side to side and nothing. Any ideas?

Yea, us '96-'98 guys really got shafted. When my car was BONE STOCK civic's would blow me away, the only car I could really beat was my friend's '96 3.8L Mustang with a 5-spd, and it was slightly modified, and the win wasn't impressive!

After the PI heads/cams/intake swap, it was a murder :nice:

I have raced 2 '99-'04's thus far, and can easily win by 4 or better, and both of those were 5-spd cars.

by the way everyone is talking here, looks like cams are next on my mod list......