'96-'98 or '01 Cobra???

STEEDA85GT

Founding Member
Nov 4, 2000
Z-hills, FL
Hey guys, I havent posted in some time (since my '85 GT was totaled) but the time has FINALLY come where i can get back into a 'stang again. I am looking at either '96-'98 or '01 Cobras. For decision's sake I need more info on both years, exact specs, common problems. In either case (sooner with the '96-'98 as they are a little cheaper) the car will be supercharged. I'm a buyer for a large national dealer and have noticed about a $7-10K difference in the selling price between the two at auction. I know the basics but if anyone knows of a good comprehensive website for Cobra generations the help would be greatly appreciated...im pretty torn between the two.

Thanks in advance for the help and its going to be good to be back!

Attachments

• mustang1.jpg
    mustang1.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 126
  • Sponsors (?)

well, if you're looking for a drag racing car, a 96-98 has the better setup for two reasons, a solid rear axle in the back (99+ have IRS) and the factory return style fuel system. this is much better suited to a power adder application. I'm still debating what I would want for those exact reasons.

thanks for your help, basically im just looking for a quick, clean, reliable street car. the car will only see the track a couple times a year most likely. did not know about the difference in fuel systems though...

STEEDA85GT said:
thanks for your help, basically im just looking for a quick, clean, reliable street car. the car will only see the track a couple times a year most likely. did not know about the difference in fuel systems though...

I know that the 96 had overheating problems and Ford sent out a TSB report for it. Also some 99 Cobra's had problems with the intake manifold not producing the horsepower advertised which Ford had to TSB that too. Like the post before me said try to find a 98. Also put some mach1/03 Cobra or 99-01Cobra heads and a Mach1/01Cobra Intake manifold

I wouldn't get a supercharger. I have a blown 98, and am still working bugs out of the car. I have spent over $6000 on a simple vortech so far, and it's going back for a retune. And I haven't broken anything yet.

If you want a blown cobra, buy a used 03'.

It sounds like you are tight for cash, and adding a blower will cost more in $$$ and downtime than anyone will admit to on the forums.
Any money you spend on a non blown cobra will just be down the drain. You will never get it back. If you buy an 03 right, you can sell it the next day for more than you paid for it.

Good Luck!

STEEDA85GT said:
Hey guys, I havent posted in some time (since my '85 GT was totaled) but the time has FINALLY come where i can get back into a 'stang again. I am looking at either '96-'98 or '01 Cobras. For decision's sake I need more info on both years, exact specs, common problems. In either case (sooner with the '96-'98 as they are a little cheaper) the car will be supercharged. I'm a buyer for a large national dealer and have noticed about a $7-10K difference in the selling price between the two at auction. I know the basics but if anyone knows of a good comprehensive website for Cobra generations the help would be greatly appreciated...im pretty torn between the two.

Thanks in advance for the help and its going to be good to be back!

You might consider buying a cheap 96-98 cobra and making it a n/a beast? full exhaust, 4.30/4.56's and drag radials can easily get you into the 12's.

My main considerations were:

1. body design preference

2. solid axle vs IRS

I love the look of the 96-98 Cobras, & I wanted the solid axle, so I got a '97. About the only other thing I should've considered were the better seats in the newer cars, but I wouldn't trade my '97 for 1 '99 or '01.

I like the 96-98 cobra body style the most and I could not justify the extra money for a car that was barely faster and I am not a fan of the IRS. I had always wanted a 96 mystic so it was no brainer when I found one. I do like the engines of the 99s and 01s better than the 96-98. I ran two different 99 cobra engines in my 96 during a time and the car ran very strong. No doubt it was faster than my old engine setup and I had no problem beating other 96-98s with it.

Thanks again guys. It really isnt a matter of money...its more just not wanting to spend an extra $7K for a car which is basically the same, if not inferior. I do like the look of the '96-'98's a bit more and am leaning that way but had read a couple articles that talked the '01's up quite a bit so I was unsure. Thanks again for all of your help...