96 gt no power to fuel pump

Awebster96gt

Dec 7, 2019
Ohio
So I have a stock 96 gt 4.6 sohc. I was having fuel pressure issuses( dropping to 0 psi on full throttle) fixed that, replaced fuel pump. The return line was rusted thru. After repairs car ran great until one day I was sitting at idle at a light then the car stalls. Would not restart. Pushed it to the side of the road. Went and got a few tools came back and it fired right up. Drove it almost home and stalled again. No fuel pressure. Now it will not start back up. I checked the 20a fuse it's getting power to both side. Checked the inertia switch for power and wiring to fuel pump no power at either of them. So I went to the ccrm to check power and I'm not getting power to #5 pin. Would that mean the ccrm is bad and could it be fixed without replacing it

• Sponsors (?)

IF there is:
  • power at CCRM pin #11 (LB/OG)
  • key on power at CCRM pin #12 (RD)
  • Confirmed good ground at CCRM pin #18 (BK), #15 (BK/WH), and #16 (BK).
  • AND no power at CCRM pin #5 (DG/YE)
THEN the CCRM is bad.

Note, best to do all test with a test light that will "load" the circuit. Especially the ground tests.

Note, that ALL of the above tests need to be true to call a bad CCRM fuel pump relay.

BUT it's important that there are other conditions that could also cause a no CCRM pin #5 power. So don't cut corners on any of the tests.

Last edited:
Thanks for the information, I plugged in a spare ccrm from a 98 gt and still no power to #5 pin and it did not start. Just to be sure I sprayed some starting fluid in and it runs until it burns out. I'm having it towed home and tomorrow I'm going to trace the wires and check for ground to #18 and also key on power for #12 pin

I checked for power at pin #11 and that has 0 voltage
Pin #12 has 11.9 volts
Pin #13 has ground
Pin #5 has 6.7 volts
I went thru and got voltage on the rear wires for inertia switch and fuel pump wires and its reading the 6.7 volts
I don't really know what the problem could be

Pin #5 has 6.7 volts
I went thru and got voltage on the rear wires for inertia switch and fuel pump wires and its reading the 6.7 volts
I don't really know what the problem could be
Based upon the above test results the fuel pump relay inside the CCRM is BAD. Likely bad relay contacts creating excessive voltage drop.

It is possible to replace the relay yourself. However it's not an easy process to replace a soldered in part. Most people simply buy a re-man'ed unit.

Soooooooooooooooooooooooo. Either:
  • The problem is actually in the CCRM connector. IE bad pin fitment.
  • Your test results are not accurate.
  • your donor CCRM is not compatible. Not all CCRM's are the same. There are differences in the model years and engine types.
  • your "donor" CCRM is also bad.

Last edited:
The donor came out of my friends running 98 mustang gt but I was getting the same results and the car started with starting fluid with the donor ccrm. I am having someone to come help me further diag the electrical tomorrow. I just don't understand why it's only pushing out 6.5-6.7 volts to the pump. Still no fuel pressure

I just don't understand why it's only pushing out 6.5-6.7 volts to the pump.
Here's some information on voltage drop testing. This may help you to understand HOW it's possible for the voltage to be sooooooo low.

Howto perform charging system voltage drop test

Want more proof that you are on the right track? Back probe CCRM pin #5 (DG/YE) and then inject 12 volts using a fused jumper. Does the car start now?

Last edited:
Here's some information on voltage drop testing. This may help you to understand HOW it's possible for the voltage to be sooooooo low.

Howto perform charging system voltage drop test

Want more proof that you are on the right track? Back probe CCRM pin #5 (RD) and then inject 12 volts using a fused jumper. Does the car start now?

#5 pin is not red it's (circled) green with yellow tracer and it did not start applying 12v to that wire

Attachments

• IMG_20191227_194440~2.jpg
    IMG_20191227_194440~2.jpg
    296.3 KB · Views: 178
#5 pin is not red it's (circled) green with yellow tracer and it did not start applying 12v to that wire
Sorry. Typo. CCRM pin #5 should be DG/YE.

Did the fuel pump RUN when power was applied to pin #5? Did the wire spark at all? Did anything change at all?

What is the condition of the CCRM connector when disconnected? Any corrosion? Any bent/pushed pins?

No bent pins or corrosion. Pump did not run when power was applied to that pin #5 and I checked voltage at the rear wiring and it's getting 11.9 with jumper at the wire but the pump is not running.
Since the voltage at the trunk mounted IFS switch goes to battery voltage when external power is applied to CCRM pin #5, this proves we have the correct pin/wire.

With the key off, measure the resistance between CCRM pin #5 and battery negative. This should give a reading of the fuel pump motor coil windings.

If applying power directly to the Trunk mounted IFS switch does not make the fuel pump run, it's also time to consider:
  • The fuel pump is bad.
  • there's a bad ground from the fuel pump
  • There's a wiring fault to the fuel pump between the IFS switch and the fuel pump itself.
Recommend confirming the fuel pump's ground. Best to use a test light that will "load" the circuit.

A possible "long shot" theory is a shorted pump winding took out the CCRM. Now the fuel pump winding is open. So this gives two related issues.

I'm assuming if there were any modifications to this car that they would have been mentioned.

Thanks for all the help. After further testing I dropped the tank and the pump is bad. (Just replaced a week ago). I had a friend come over to crank the engine while testing #5 pin And it Reads 12v while cranking 6 not cranking. So I was tracing a problem that wasn't there. Again thanks for the input and in going to replace the pump and I will update if she runs again

IF there is:
  • power at CCRM pin #11 (LB/OG)
  • key on power at CCRM pin #12 (RD)
  • Confirmed good ground at CCRM pin #18 (BK), #15 (BK/WH), and #16 (BK).
  • AND no power at CCRM pin #5 (DG/YE)
THEN the CCRM is bad.

Note, best to do all test with a test light that will "load" the circuit. Especially the ground tests.

Note, that ALL of the above tests need to be true to call a bad CCRM fuel pump relay.

BUT it's important that there are other conditions that could also cause a no CCRM pin #5 power. So don't cut corners on any of the tests.
What else could cause the number 5 pin on the ccrm not to have power