96 Gt Over Heating

Mark96gtstang

Jul 13, 2017
I have a 1996 gt that is overheating. I have replaced radiator with a new one that's just stock. I have replaced all hoses the fan works both high and low I'm very frustrated any help would be great.

• Sponsors (?)

Put a stock 192/195 back in. When you run a 180 stat it opens sooner than the cooling system is designed and doesn't keep the coolant in the radiator long enough to properly cool. These cars were meant to run in the 195 range for proper combustion/fuel burn.

If you don't have oil in water or water in oil, no system bubbles etc and it cools when the fan comes on or going down the highway (after 35/40 mph the airflow is more than the fan pulls) then your system works as designed.

+1 on everything above. Use the stock 192 degree T-stat. A motor that is over heating will also have other "signs" of over heating.

FWIIW, anything around or below 220 degrees is NOT over heating. Your motor will not run better if the temperature is below 220. Ford has designed the motor to work within that temperature range. So it is NORMAL for the motor's temperature to vary between 192 and 220 degrees.

Also note that if the method you are using to determine if the motor is over heating is the dash gauge this can be affected by low system voltage. Low system voltage will make the dash gauge read HIGH. Recommend checking the battery and alternator before throwing more parts at the problem.

Howto perform charging system voltage drop test
https://www.stangnet.com/mustang-fo...perform-charging-system-voltage-drop-test.56/

Where to go next depends upon IF the motor is actually over heating. If so, we need to know the driving conditions when the motor over heats. Stop and go? Expressway speeds? AC on? Coolant boiling over? Motor power down? When the hood is opened does the engine bay "feel" hot?

Last edited:
When I'm driving the temp goes up to around 217 to 220 then it will drop to 203 or 204 only after I stop. If I'm driving really fast under hard acceleration the temp climbs up and stays there unroll I stop.

Again. 220 is NOT over heating. Perfectly normal.

The high speed fan doesn't even kick on until 218. So is it that hard to believe 220 with the high speed fan running?

An over heating motor will be in the 230 or higher range.

What is the outside temperature there? It got to 113 here and I can tell you the GT was running pretty warm(220'ish) but no burping out coolant or pinging and power loss.

I still don't think you have a problem other than you should throw the factory thermostat back in. The reason vehicle manufacturers put dummy gauges in the dash is what is driving you crazy right now; people will see the temp fluctuating under various load and environmental conditions, causing them to stress over nothing.

I still don't think you have a problem other than you should throw the factory thermostat back in. The reason vehicle manufacturers put dummy gauges in the dash is what is driving you crazy right now; people will see the temp fluctuating under various load and environmental conditions, causing them to stress over nothing.