96 GT w/ fluidyne rad & mishimoto dual fan set up! (pics how to fit fan) & how hot ?!

mikeyd111879

Feb 18, 2004
well, I installed today... 96 GT auto convert. = fluidyne radiator , mac chrome hoses , hosetechiques couplers, mishimoto dual fans, canton over flow tank with canton 16psi cap. install wasnt bad at all... if you have a 96 and want the dual fans, order the 94 - 95 models, they dont make one for 96, and the 97 - 99 will not fit at all... the trick to fitting dual fans around ABS set up., first unbolt AC canister, pull it out, reinstall approx 2 1/2 inches under brake lines, drill 2 holes, and reinstall there. the ABS set up , remove 2 upper bolts, under the car in fender theres 2 more bolts and a hook... unbolt those 2 bolts and unhook. then pull back and down, I used 4in spacers and carriage bolts, leave the 2 inside bolts off, and dont hook it back on. = plenty of clearance for the fans, Ive read so many posts on fittment, wasnt that big of a deal, but yes it wasnt fitting at all, unless relocating. also the ground on abs unit will now be too short for stock location. I grounded mine on the bolt I used when i relocated AC canister. works great,,,,
QUESTION!!!??? HOW HOT IS BAD? now that I have everying polished, chrome, aluminum, i left car running for 20 minutes, after install, I couldnt touch anything under the hood. it was insanely hot.. anyone have these chrome hoses, alum rad, dual fan??? Im now concerned to drive the car with that much heat under there.

Attachments

• IMG_1787.jpg
    IMG_1787.jpg
    191.6 KB · Views: 161
  • IMG_1795.jpg
    IMG_1795.jpg
    185.7 KB · Views: 121
  • Sponsors (?)

If you are concerned about the actual water/coolant temperature, then install an aftermarket water temperature gauge.

Or, you can do it the "cheap" way and find one of those radiator caps that has a "built in" temperature gauge on it. Would save you the hassle of installing an entire gauge setup. :shrug:

With the addition of all that shiny metal under the hood, those parts are bound to retain some of the underhood heat and be "hot" to the touch. That's completely normal and I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Stuff gets hot under the hood. The cooling system is trying to maintain the coolant temperature at 195F degrees so the engine block and heads are at least that and the exhaust manifolds get even hotter and eventually that heat spreads to just about everything under there - that's almost hot enough to boil water so, yeah, it's gonna be hot to the touch for a quite a while. All those shiny metal surfaces are even worse than the factory plastic and rubber because shiny metal transfers heat to your skin much more efficiently and instantly than rubber or plastic.

Put a scanner on it and see what coolant temps the computer is seeing but if the gauge isn't pegging and you're not puking coolant you probably don't have anything to worry about.

I sat idling in a parking lot for 30 minutes Saturday in 90 degree weather with the A/C running full blast - after about 15 minutes I hooked up my scanner to check the temps and the under-hood air temps were over 140F but the coolant temp never moved more than a degree or two from 195F.