96 mustang GT

need more power in my 96 mustang GT

I'm looking to improve my mustangs performance. I have a 96 GT with a Magnaflow 2/12 in true flow x-pipe with high flow CATs, Magnaflow 2/12 in true flow cat back sytem, and a Cervini Ramair hood. Those are the only motifactions I've done so far.

I'm want to know, should I pull the engine or just rebuild the existing one? Also, my vin number says I have an X motor and not the W. Does anyone know the difference? I'm target is 600hp and still have a weekend driver. I will probably use a turbo with it. Does anyone have any suggestions? :shrug:

Also, I was looking at the 4 way ride pro from AirRide Tech. does anyone have an opinion about this system?

• Sponsors (?)

bigcherokee0 said:
I'm looking to improve my mustangs performance. I have a 96 GT with a Magnaflow 2/12 in true flow x-pipe with high flow CATs, Magnaflow 2/12 in true flow cat back sytem, and a Cervini Ramair hood. Those are the only motifactions I've done so far.

I'm want to know, should I pull the engine or just rebuild the existing one? Also, my vin number says I have an X motor and not the W. Does anyone know the difference? I'm target is 600hp and still have a weekend driver. I will probably use a turbo with it. Does anyone have any suggestions? :shrug:

Also, I was looking at the 4 way ride pro from AirRide Tech. does anyone have an opinion about this system?
i say go to VRT's website and look at there short blocks. there are also alot of other great companies out there. I'd say that you are going to need a forged iron short block and some 99+ PI heads to even touch that kind of power safely. 600hp is alot for a "streetable" 4.6L. It can be done though.......good luck :nice:

I'm all about swapping motors. Go to stangparts.com or Karkraft.com and pick yourself up a 4v. But if you really want to get hardcore go with pushrod, a lot cheaper then over head cam. If you want serious horse power pick up a 393 from DSSracing.com for cheap with some AFR heads. 4.6 is a great motor just to much money to hook up plus your looking for 600 RWHP with it. :rolleyes:

If you want a really good 4.6 motor just get yourself a 03 4s/c. That thing is gold only thing i don't like is the fact that its about 10,000 dollars just for the motor. Looking at about 15,000 dollars for a 03 cobra to pull 12.7 in your GT.

I have a 96 GT with a 4v swap that went bad but thank god because later i found out a 99 4v can only hold about 450 rwhp. Now i'm getting a 94-95 GT and dropping a 393 stroker motor. It is a lot cheaper and hell of a lot faster then a 03 4v. Good luck bro. :flag:

build a low compression bottom end and build it strong, stage III p&p PI heads, a turbo with a lot of boost, big intercooler, and a little shot of spray to keep it even cooler I would say that this kind of power is possible.

This is sort of not on the topic but i have to ask.

It has been bugging me for some time now, how is it possible for these supras, and other cars that are only V6 to be able to produce so much power, and cars that are V8 like mustangs are not able to make that much power. I know supras have turbos, but still, I dont get it. Dont flame me, i just want to know.

Coolman532 said:
This is sort of not on the topic but i have to ask.

It has been bugging me for some time now, how is it possible for these supras, and other cars that are only V6 to be able to produce so much power, and cars that are V8 like mustangs are not able to make that much power. I know supras have turbos, but still, I dont get it. Dont flame me, i just want to know.

very efficent built engines, like the 03 cobras, with good internals
so when u do stuff it actually works how it should

GoBabyVroommm said:
I'm all about swapping motors. Go to stangparts.com or Karkraft.com and pick yourself up a 4v. But if you really want to get hardcore go with pushrod, a lot cheaper then over head cam. If you want serious horse power pick up a 393 from DSSracing.com for cheap with some AFR heads. 4.6 is a great motor just to much money to hook up plus your looking for 600 RWHP with it. :rolleyes:

If you want a really good 4.6 motor just get yourself a 03 4s/c. That thing is gold only thing i don't like is the fact that its about 10,000 dollars just for the motor. Looking at about 15,000 dollars for a 03 cobra to pull 12.7 in your GT.

I have a 96 GT with a 4v swap that went bad but thank god because later i found out a 99 4v can only hold about 450 rwhp. Now i'm getting a 94-95 GT and dropping a 393 stroker motor. It is a lot cheaper and hell of a lot faster then a 03 4v. Good luck bro. :flag:

Thanks this is a real help. I question though, If I get a stroker engine, will it still be "streetable?" I'm looking to be able to drive it on the weekends.

GoBabyVroommm said:
You can make almost anything streetable with the right tune. Turbos are easier to make streetable then most high horse power cars because you can control boost.

What kind of gears do you think I should use? What about the trans.? I'm planning to do all this over then next 6 months, but I want to get an idea of what I'm going to need.