96 SVT Cobra -451 original/documented miles Speedo problems

As the title mentions, I have a 1996 triple black SVT Cobra Convertible with 451 original and documented miles.

When I bought the car a couple of years ago it had 403 miles. It now has 451 and the car basically sits atop a 4 post lift rarely enjoyed. Several months ago when I went to occasionally crank the car I noticed the radio/dash clock didn't work. I found a blown fuse and replaced the fuse. When I turned the ignition on the radio worked, but I noticed what I thought was a small small puff of smoke coming from the area of the shifter area. I turned the ignition off and pulled the fuse but noticed the fuse was fine, nothing blown. I checked everything but could not find anything not working. Radio and clock were doing fine. I began to imagine if I had just imagined the smoke.

Today, I took for a short drive for safety inspection (to keep renew tags) about 2 miles from my house. I immediately noticed that the speedometer and odometer were not working. The tach works, the cruise control works, and everything else appears fine but I recognised immediately that my puff of smoke had a victim after all.

My research on the forum here leads me to believe I have a wiring issue and not the VSS since the cruise control works. The speed worked before the "smoke" so I wouldn't expect the cluster.

Are there some experts here that could help sort this further. I am located south of Fort Worth, TX and would also consider a reputable shop. I have a Ford dealer about 1 mile from me but felt Stang enthusiasts are my best bet.

Please Help!! Thanks for reading, Eric

• Sponsors (?)