97 cobra cobra , rear end, how much power will it take ?

Hey guys i have a 97 cobra with a vortech s trim , running 10 lbs of boost , dyno sheet says 440whp , im not the original owner of the car but want to turn the boost up , so im curious what the rear end will handle , i dont know if it has any axle or diff upgrades , unless some
One can tell me i am already passed where i would need an upgrade like that, any help would be great
3477648C-A9C8-48EA-AE0E-2F84F326AAEE.jpeg

• Sponsors (?)

Hey guys i have a 97 cobra with a vortech s trim , running 10 lbs of boost , dyno sheet says 440whp , im not the original owner of the car but want to turn the boost up , so im curious what the rear end will handle , i dont know if it has any axle or diff upgrades , unless some
One can tell me i am already passed where i would need an upgrade like that, any help would be great
3477648C-A9C8-48EA-AE0E-2F84F326AAEE.jpeg
Hi,
There’s no guarantee with the 8.8” rear ends, the axles are the weak point.
They’re actually quite strong. I’ve run 8.8”s with 500RWHP & no issues. Beyond that with Ford racing gears & axles.
App. make a big difference. If you ran slicks with 5,000 RPM launches at a track with a stock 8.8 every weekend, that may be excessive. Driving it one the street, through the gears here & there, burning a little rubber, likely fine.
Comparatively, they are just shy of a GM 12 Bolt’s strength. Add some good axles, swap gears- better. Many who can’t locate Ford 9” reads for retro-Pony’s run the 8.8’s.
Have fun!
-John

Reactions: 1 user