'97 Cobra...DEAD. HELP ME

SVTLink

Mar 30, 2005
Garland, Tx
I was driving my 97 Cobra down the road, went to redline and bam. It bounced off the redline then died. Gave me an immediate check engine light. I heard no boom or anything wrong, it just shut down after I hit redline. When I got underneath the car, I noticed this small hole, about 3mm-4mm big. The picture actually makes the whole look big, but its a small hole.
Its throwing a code, but I haven't checked it out yet since its 3am. HELP!

Hole1.jpg

Hole2.jpg

:flag:

• Sponsors (?)

hard to say what caused the hole....only way is if something was ejected and punched through. ummm well it didnt make any noise at all, kinda weird cuz i would think that you busted up some internals. well it must have made some noise but you probably couldnt hear it if the car was popping of the limiter. when you get a chance i would put the car in neutral and take a wrench and spin the crank(oh and pull your plugs out) this may help determine how serious the problem is.

Hole looks so symetrical I wonder if there was a plug in there or set screw(look that way from the pic. How many miles on the car. Wonder if the timing chains slapped the cover when you hit the rev limiter. Just a thought

My Cobra hates me

01SN8K hard to say what caused the hole....only way is if something was ejected and punched through. ummm well it didnt make any noise at all, kinda weird cuz i would think that you busted up some internals. well it must have made some noise but you probably couldnt hear it if the car was popping of the limiter. when you get a chance i would put the car in neutral and take a wrench and spin the crank(oh and pull your plugs out) this may help determine how serious the problem is.

Later today I'll take out the plugs and see if there is a problem. How serious do you think the problem is? I checked my oil level and it was still on max or fairly close to it. The problem was that I just hit redline and bounced off of it, not bounced repeatedly off redline. Then it just shut down.

Today 06:53 PM
Benny Hole looks so symetrical I wonder if there was a plug in there or set screw(look that way from the pic. How many miles on the car. Wonder if the timing chains slapped the cover when you hit the rev limiter. Just a thought

The hole is almost a perfect circle. Is there anyway someone can post a picture of the same area on their cobra. The car just hit over 42,XXX miles. My buddy said it was the TCs as well.

Dan_Soprano threw a rod...
Would the rod work its way all the way down like that and still have enough force to punture the block? thanks

any and all advice is welcomed

SVTLink said:
Just wondering how much a block for a '97 Cobra would cost and where i could pick one up at.
thanks
akjfkajf!
If I'm not mistaken the GT and Cobra blocks are the same...if this is correct a brand new one will be ~$350 iron.

Hopefully your block doesnt have a hole, but Id say you have a sprocket, timing chain or tensioner issue :notnice: ....youre gonna have to remove the timing and valve covers to see the extent of the damage...DA snake boy!!