97 Cobra w/ T56 - Need some help here..

mod04mach1

Jul 6, 2006
Tennessee
Sorry about the long post guys - I'm hoping someone has been through this and can point me in the right direction. I posted this question already once, but I guess I didn't make any sense. I just bought a 97 Cobra that has been converted with a T-56 6-speed. The car has a 4.30 gear, or so I was told The car runs almost 3k rpms @ 70 on the highway in 6th, so that sounds legit. The speedo isn't hooked up - the guy told me he needed a part that was on backorder (???) - thought he was talking about a new VSS. Turns out the VSS was unplugged - I plugged it in & the speedo works - however it's waaayy off. At about 20mph it reads about 140. What I need to know is if I can correct the speedo calibration with a handheld tuner (which I'm planning on getting anyway) or do I need something like the SpeedCal? If I use a tuner, which one works for a 97 Cobra? I was leaning toward a Predator 2, but I don't see any listed for a 97. Is there anything else I need? Any info is appreciated. Thanx

• Sponsors (?)

As far as I know, you can't correct the speedo with a tuner. There is an EXTENDED RANGE Speed-cal, which I believe is what you would need.
If you go on svtperformance.com and go to the SN95 COBRA section, there has been alot of talk about installs and issues with the T56.

LILBLKSNAKE said:
As far as I know, you can't correct the speedo with a tuner. There is an EXTENDED RANGE Speed-cal, which I believe is what you would need.
If you go on svtperformance.com and go to the SN95 COBRA section, there has been alot of talk about installs and issues with the T56.

he's right a speed cal is the only way to correct your speedo in the 96 to 98 cobras a tuner cant do in because your car still uses the old speed gear and not a sensor hope this helps