97 Lx Trans (auto) Questions

What's up sixxers?:SNSign:

I am about to do a MAJOR tune up on my mom's 97 automatic.
First off, Transmission. Car has 91,xxx on it and fluid and filter have never been changed to my knowledge. I'm seeing alot of you saying 12-14 quarts of fluid and then there is the Torque converter, How do i change it's fluid out? And then of course.. Which do you recommend for fluid?

Next, The AODE doesn't appear to be working. If i turn the key to start, the indicator doesn't light, I've been told to check out all electrical related to the trans and possibly replace the switch on the shifter.

Given that's a ton of fluid, should i just take it somewhere and let them tackle all the mess?

This has been a very reliable car, replaced water pump and ignition master coil. Runs smooth and has power but i feel like the trans is holding alot back.

Much Appreciated

Joey

(4.6 talk is my home):SNSign:

• Sponsors (?)

The '97's didn't have an AODE transmission.Those only came on the 94 - 95 models.The auto trans in the 97 is a 4R70W.Fill it with MERCON auto trans fluid (DO NOT USE MERCON V).Fill level is 13.9 qts and not a drop more.To change the fluid,you'll need to remove the transmission pan underneath.It's a messy job but that's the only way it can be done.Make sure you have a large catch pan underneath because the trans pan starts dripping all over as you remove the bolts.The filter's a snap to replace.you'll see that quickly as you pull the cover off.while your at it,check the gasket on the pan for deterioration.Bolting the pan back up,torque around 10 - 12 ft lbs.Don't overtighten (you probably already know that).

Ed. Oh I almost forgot,to fill the trans,use a very narrow funnel and place it in the tranny dipstick tube.

As for the OD light not coming on,it could be a few different issues.Check the gauge cluster and make sure everything else works.It could be a burned out bulb.Make sure you drive the car and get up to speed (50 mph).Note the RPM's while holding the gas steady.Now push the OD button and again note the RPM's.You'll also feel the trans shift up/down.If the RPM's change and you feel it shift,then you got a burned out bulb.If nothing happens then you either got a wiring problem with the button in the shifter handle or an electronic solenoid inside the trans is faulty.

Easy

On the underside of the upper dashboard there are 2 torx screws (look above the clear gauge lense).Remove those.Remove the headlight knob.To get the knob off,first you'll have to remove the tiny allen screw that locks it in.Now,there's a small slot within the knob.A metal tab inside the knob is bent in place preventing the knob from easily being pulled off.You'll have to insert a tiny screwdriver or pin and push it into the slot.Your pushing the clip while pulling the knob out.You'll see what I mean when you get a look at it.Now that you got the knob off,adjust the steering wheel fully downwards as far as possible and carefully pull out the plastic trim (the one you removed the 2 torx screws from).You may have to pull a little harder because the trim snaps into place with locking tabs.Pull carefully because they break easy.

Now you have access to the gauge pod.On each of the corners is a black torx screw (4 total).Remove those 4 screws (dont touch the brass ones) and careful not to lose the screw inside the dashboard.Now pull the gaugepod out.Start with the bottom side because you'll have to angle it out.Once partially out of place,unplug the 2 wire harnesses from the corners then finish removing.

On the back of the gauge pod,you'll see what looks like several black knob looking things and several white knob pieces in a row along the bottom.Those black and white knob things are bulb retainers.Find the slot where the od light is and match it with the white bulb retainer.Then twist the retainer (usually counterclockwise) untill it unlocks itself.Then pull out.You'll see the groove path before twisting so it only goes one way.Now just pull the bulb out and insert a new one...that's it.Last thing,carefull with the backside of the gaugepod.The flimsy circuit tracings are a bit delicate.

Install is the reverse of removal.For the HL knob,just push the headlight knob on and insert screw.Any more q's just ask :)

Funny thing,actually it's messed up. I went looking for this damn bulb a couple of years ago and absolutely could NOT find it.The bulb that all of these webssites such as Rockauto and Sylvania and in store catalogs call for,for the Check engine,Brake warning,low coolant,seat belt,high beam etc etc is bulb number 194.That is totally INCORRECT.194 is the bulb that illuminates the gauge pod ,hvac controls etc.They are BS.194 is a BIG bulb compared to these indicator lamps.These are quite small and 194 wont fit.

The numbers on the bulb show like this (minus quotes) "NH 5" then right under it "37 D"
I think the bulb number is 37.I seen it in a GE catalog,but only after I tried inputting the PN in different order. You can't find it by searching the bulb catalogs on rockauto.Discount Auto etc.They just don't list it,instead they are listing 194. BULL I say! I have gauge pods from both a 95 and a 96 .Both use the same bulbs.I dont see how they could get it wrong for so many years. Sorry..rant .This is the second bulb they have listed incorrectly for years.gets on my nerves when I search an search and can't find the damn thing anywhere.