Roush 97 S351 vs 03 Extreme

Apollo 13 said:
I guess I should add that the Saleen E is a White Speedster and the S351 is a White hardtop. I really like the white cars, and the black soft top really sets them off (same color as my 97).

Would you rate the Saleen Cobras on the same value level as these two, or higher?

If you want to look at only production numbers in reference to how rare these cars are then Whosdady's personal list is in order.

1. Saleen/Cobras are the rarest by year ( only if you don't take into account that the first year for the "E" car was 2002. ) If thats the case, the "E" car is the most rare.
2. The 2002 "E" cars were rated at 425 and up to 445 2004.
3. There were a just a tad over 300 S351's built from 1994-2000 (1999) and that includes SR race cars so ther you have it.

Look at it this way. The Hemi Cuda guys pay insane amounts of money for the correct motor car. Don't get me wrong, I'm looking for a nice "E" car for myself at the moment. Don't worry, I'm not bidding on (your) white vert on ebay. I feel the biggest motor, monster of a car will be the best collector car. My 2 cents.

Heres a nice white car.

http://hometown.aol.com/marcusbing/page2.html

Good luck.

• Sponsors (?)

2000xp8 said:
The E's have what 425 hp, right?
That's wouldn't cut it for me for a 50,000 car.
The s351 should easily whoop the E on the street.
If i remember correctly back a few years in MM and FF, they took a s351 vert, put slicks on it, and banged out an 11.33, they figured with a gear change it would go high 10's.

Here's an article on the E where they got it to 11.70 on slicks. That with the 3.27 rear. An 03-04 with 445hp and 3.55 gears might match that 11.33, and might even beat it. :rolleyes:

http://www.stangbangers.com/02_SaleenS281E_Article2.htm

Oh, and I'd go for the E, but then I'm a little biased too. :)

Apollo 13 said:
I'm thinking of selling and upgrading to one of these. I have a chance to get a 7k mile, 1 owner S351 for $34k or the Extreme with 20k miles for $37k. In your opinion, which is worth more and will be more collectible? Thanks.

Popular thread.

Both cars are amazing. Both have huge potential. I know the Saleen/Cobra got mixed in also.

There is no question about potential with the 03/04 Cobra. ANY other year Cobra makes more power out of the wrapper than the N/A Saleen also.

To answer your thread starting question, the "E" car on the open market at this point in time is worth more than any S351 with the exception of the 99-00 cars. At that point it's a dead heat.

To compare the two cars you originally mentioned here, the lower the mileage, low production car if it's in better ORIGINAL shape will hold its and gain more value over time for the most part. If you want to drive the car then buy the "E". You didn't even mention if the S351 is an R-code. Most blown S351's make around 425-440 rear wheel hp stock from Saleen. Do the math. If you want hp bragging numbers then you know which car to go with.

20k miles is not a lot of miles and the "E" car regardless if its an 02 with 425 hp or an 03/04 car with 445 hp is a nice daily driver that is WAY more civilized than ANY S351.

ExtremeSaleen will be the first guy to tell you he can beat on his car ALL day long and loves it. :nice: He has over 25k miles on his car now and its a driver. ( what these cars are nade for in the first place ) :D

Apollo wanted collector value not motor potential. That's an entirely different thread. Would'nt everyone agree?

Hey, I only have 22k on my car, thank you very much! :rolleyes: I've put 12k on it in 7 months, so its a daily driver for sure. Car's just been awesome. Hardest thing about it has been getting use to the heavy clutch. I got stuck in rush hour traffic in Chicago driving it back home after I bought it, and my left leg was seriously in pain after about 15 minutes of working that clutch in traffic. I was using my hand to help my leg out, it hurt so bad. (yeah, I have chicken legs... :rlaugh: )

But I agree, they are both great cars. Just before I bought my E I thought about buying a S351. I wasn't really liking the Saleen I had at the time (2001 N/A with 50k miles on it that was squirrelly as hell). I saw a white speedster on the freeway, loved it and decided to sell my car. (no, its wasn't you Robert. It was a grey haired guy in Newport Beach) I saw the car I have now while looking for a S351 and bought it instead.

But before I take anybody for a ride in my car, I need to get it tuned bad. Its running really rich right now. It was actually spitting out brown/black clouds when I was in Vegas because of the altitude difference (3,000 feet vs pretty much sea level). It does it down here every once in a while if I'm at a lower RPM and try to WOT, say in third. I leave a rather embarrasing brownish cloud behind me. No yay! :notnice:

Wow, I just total went off the tread there, sorry. I've never driven an S351 so I can't say which is better, but I do love my car and highly recommend it.

ExtremeSaleen said:
Hey, I only have 22k on my car, thank you very much! :rolleyes: I've put 12k on it in 7 months, so its a daily driver for sure. Car's just been awesome. Hardest thing about it has been getting use to the heavy clutch. I got stuck in rush hour traffic in Chicago driving it back home after I bought it, and my left leg was seriously in pain after about 15 minutes of working that clutch in traffic. I was using my hand to help my leg out, it hurt so bad. (yeah, I have chicken legs... :rlaugh: )

But I agree, they are both great cars. Just before I bought my E I thought about buying a S351. I wasn't really liking the Saleen I had at the time (2001 N/A with 50k miles on it that was squirrelly as hell). I saw a white speedster on the freeway, loved it and decided to sell my car. (no, its wasn't you Robert. It was a grey haired guy in Newport Beach) I saw the car I have now while looking for a S351 and bought it instead.

But before I take anybody for a ride in my car, I need to get it tuned bad. Its running really rich right now. It was actually spitting out brown/black clouds when I was in Vegas because of the altitude difference (3,000 feet vs pretty much sea level). It does it down here every once in a while if I'm at a lower RPM and try to WOT, say in third. I leave a rather embarrasing brownish cloud behind me. No yay! :notnice:

Wow, I just total went off the tread there, sorry. I've never driven an S351 so I can't say which is better, but I do love my car and highly recommend it.

Wow, thats a bad clutch experience. I bet you're used to it now though?

ExtremeSaleen said:
Hey, I only have 22k on my car, thank you very much! :rolleyes: I've put 12k on it in 7 months, so its a daily driver for sure. Car's just been awesome.

Sorry Mike.

I was guessing on your mileage since I know you love to drive your car which really makes us that don't drive our cars look a bit silly. I was only 3k miles off!

Hey, are you going to the Huntington Beach show?

37,000 for an E sounds pretty low for a price, doesn't it?

ExtremeSaleen, 11.70 is nice, but keep in mind you are comparing the numbers from a coupe to a convertable.
Yes a gear change would help the E, But keep in mind it would also help the S351.

Close prices and a very tough choice here.

Thanks for the replies everyone. Like Marcus stated, I'm more concerned with long term value than all out performance. Rare doesn't always mean desirable.
A 68 Hemi Barracuda will stomp all over the 71 Barracuda but doesn't bring a third of the price at auction.
Anyway, I appreciate the input, Ron.

Apollo 13 said:
Thanks for the replies everyone. Like Marcus stated, I'm more concerned with long term value than all out performance. Rare doesn't always mean desirable.
A 68 Hemi Barracuda will stomp all over the 71 Barracuda but doesn't bring a third of the price at auction.
Anyway, I appreciate the input, Ron.

No problem Ron.

I see we are are on the same page. The Cuda reference did what I needed.

Good luck with your search.

Head Paneer said:
SCOA has ten people committed so far. :nice:

Maybe after the show is over, we all can do a little hands-on comparison between an E and S351! :D

Well,

If I would like everything to be fair. Let's just say like Saleen, I too understate the output of my car. Maybe Roberts S351R coupe would be a better stock representatiion for the S351.

If I can get the SSC together I would rather bring that slow poke.